OBS to Zoom

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
allenjpl

OBS to Zoom

Post by allenjpl »

Our previous setup uses a Webcam for video, OBS for hosting, Meetinghouse Webcast for streaming, and audio through the chapel's sound system (Record jack through a 25' cable and Sabrent adaptor). This has worked wonderfully for us.

With the elimination of Meetinghouse Webcast as an option, I am looking to broadcast OBS through our Zoom account. The OBS virtual camera will work well for video, but I'm not sure about audio. Does Zoom take both the audio and video feed from Virtual Camera, or do I need to set the audio source manually in Zoom? And if I set the audio source manually, will my volume meter settings in OBS affect it? I use the volume meter to adjust when a speaker is significantly louder then the norms.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: OBS to Zoom

Post by Mikerowaved »

The OBS virtual camera should act just like a webcam with both audio and video in the source. Adjustments to the audio level in OBS will be reflected in Zoom. If you let Zoom use a different audio source, then audio adjustments in OBS won't affect it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

Mikerowaved wrote:The OBS virtual camera should act just like a webcam with both audio and video in the source. Adjustments to the audio level in OBS will be reflected in Zoom. If you let Zoom use a different audio source, then audio adjustments in OBS won't affect it.
The OBS virtual camera does not appear as a microphone/sound input device in Zoom. As near as I can tell, a "virtual microphone" feature appears to be something the OBS team is working on, but is not currently in existence.

For tomorrow, at least, it appears I'll need to manually mute the Zoom microphone input.
brad_p

Post by brad_p »

I've never been able to make the OBS virtual camera work in Zoom.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

Okay, here's my solution. OBS, by itself, will not convey sound to Zoom using the Virtual Camera. It requires the Virtual Cable driver (https://vb-audio.com/Cable/).

After installing the Virtual Cable, I went into OBS File > Settings > Audio >Advanced Audio and set the Virtual Cable as the monitoring device. I then went into the Audio Mixer in OBS and set the chapel audio input to both Monitor and Output. The Virtual Cable (carrying the Monitoring signal) was then available as a sound input in Zoom.
brad_p

Post by brad_p »

allenjpl,

Be careful with Virtual Cable. I think on any Windows version 2004 or later the software is just plain broken and crackles. It also introduces about a .2 second delay in the audio, which is annoyingly noticeable when people are talking.

I use "Virtual Audio Cable (VAC)", https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/download.htm. It's a paid product, but we need it for a different purpose.

Also, if you have an interactive session, then these virtual audio mixers will echo and feed their words right back at them. Unless you set up 3 lines and carefully set up your virtual mixer to avoid that.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”