Webcast Encoder URL update - Release Notes

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
bretbassett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Webcast Encoder URL update - Release Notes

Post by bretbassett »

On February 17, the church released a new update. This update is designed to simplify the use of encoding devices when holding multiple meetings in the same building on a recurring basis.
Attachments
Encoder URL Release Notes.pdf
(194.81 KiB) Downloaded 887 times
chapmanjec

Re: Webcast Encoder URL update - Release Notes

Post by chapmanjec »

Hi! It's Wednesday at noon Mountain time. I've tried spinning up a couple sample meetings with these new settings, and my Teradek won't connect. "Address not found." I get similar errors on Teradek's webpage and its front panel display.

From another machine on a totally separate network, ping fails:

MACHINE:~ johnchapman$ ping rtmp://lehiutahgatewaystake2.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org/169P/242654db2f3d46a1b
ping: cannot resolve rtmp://lehiutahgatewaystake2.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org/169P/242654db2f3d46a1b: Unknown host

Traceroute, too, because of length I assume:

MACHINE:~ johnchapman$ traceroute rtmp://lehiutahgatewaystake2.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org/169P/242654db2f3d46a1b
traceroute: hostname "rtmp://lehiutahgatewaystake2.mhw..." is too long

This fails too:

MACHINE:~ johnchapman$ traceroute rtmp://lehiutahgatewaystake2.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org
traceroute: unknown host rtmp://lehiutahgatewaystake2.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org

Maybe DNS still hasn't propagated?
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

chapmanjec - noon was when we were pushing the new code. Please try again and DM me if you continue to experience problems. At this point everything appears to be working as expected.
studerje

Post by studerje »

I am seeing the same thing for Carlsbad California Stake. I am unable to resolve these hostnames:
carlsbadcaliforniastake2.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org
carlsbadcaliforniastake1.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org
carlsbadcaliforniastake0.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org
carlsbadcaliforniastake3.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org
carlsbadcaliforniastake2.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org
tmilne

Post by tmilne »

Make sure you update the Quick Start Guide and Complete Guide with the new Encoder URL setup options.

And thanks for adding 15 minute increments to the duration of scheduled meetings! This will help.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

When the ward at the other end of the stake plugs the Teradek encoder in during the preroll period this coming Sunday morning, is it going to work, i.e., autoconfigure as it has been doing for the last several years? Or do I need to travel out there to the stake center and do something first?
daveg123

Post by daveg123 »

I tried it earlier, the new encoder setup wasn't working/mapping correctly (as of about 1:00 PM PST), but now (4:30 PM PST) it's working for me...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

On more careful reading of the Release Notes, it says, "There is no change to auto-config functionality. Registered devices currently using auto-config can continue using it." And later it says, Registered devices will automatically be upgraded to an Encoder URL."

This tells me I do not need to do anything with my currently autoconfigured Teradek encoder.
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

We could not reach the servers assigned for webcasting.  
Summary: The commands Tracert and NSlookup can not find the webcast servers.
Servers:
o Teradek VidiU rtmp://MHW-5-155798.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com/169P
o New Encoder URLs  rtmp://boyntonbeachfloridastake1.mhwebcast.churchofjesuschrist.org/169P

Worked with Athens Georgia Stake (448354), on Thursday pm, 18Feb2021. 
Everything we tried failed to connect to the servers.

Tried our Boynton Beach Florida Stake (2018888) webcast set up for our stake conference this Sunday with the same issue. 
Tested on Thursday pm, 18Feb2021, and Friday am, 19Feb2021.
DNS server:  dsldevice6.attlocal.net  

On Friday am, 19Feb2021, switched to the church's VPN connection, which provides a 10. address, with the same issue.
DNS server:  ns1.ldschurch.org
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

lajackson wrote:On more careful reading of the Release Notes, it says, "There is no change to auto-config functionality. Registered devices currently using auto-config can continue using it." And later it says, Registered devices will automatically be upgraded to an Encoder URL."

This tells me I do not need to do anything with my currently autoconfigured Teradek encoder.
Auto-config will work as it has and update encoders using it to the static RTMP information.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”