Priesthood sessions via webcast?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
JamesBrown-p40

Priesthood sessions via webcast?

Post by JamesBrown-p40 »

In our stake we are bursting at the seams during the priesthood session of stake conference. I know other stakes have the same problem. I know some stakes that have webcast hardware have used that to push the satellite broadcast back to SLC so they can view it at another building.

This seems like a waste of bandwidth and time. It would seem more efficient for SLC to push the priesthood session out on the streaming system (perhaps with a confidential URL) so that units can view that with their existing webcast hardware.

Thoughts?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JamesBrown wrote: I know some stakes that have webcast hardware have used that to push the satellite broadcast back to SLC so they can view it at another building.
I assume you are asking about the priesthood session of general conference.

Unless something has changed, they are not doing this for priesthood meeting, because the webcasting service is not available at that time.

For regional stake conferences, a URL can now be provided to feed the satellite portion of the conference to overflow meetinghouses in the stake that do not have satellite equipment.

Perhaps some consideration will be given to doing that for general priesthood meeting.

I would have to ask, however, if there really is not room in the stake center for all of the priesthood brethren. Do you have to broadcast the stake general priesthood meetings to other buildings, as well?

If this is truly so, it may be time for your stake president to contact CHQ and inquire about additional facilities for the general priesthood meeting.

I have never lived in a stake with this problem. It would be fun to see it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I would have to ask, however, if there really is not room in the stake center for all of the priesthood brethren. Do you have to broadcast the stake general priesthood meetings to other buildings, as well?

If this is truly so, it may be time for your stake president to contact CHQ and inquire about additional facilities for the general priesthood meeting.
Additional facilities? Or a stake split? ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
robartsd

Post by robartsd »

I've seen a few stakes that fill the chapel and overflow for General Conference Priesthood Session, but I can't imagine a stake with so many that overflowing into the Cultural Hall (or other rooms) would not provide adequate space.
robartsd

Post by robartsd »

I have been in stakes that have satellite reception in multiple buildings. Perhaps the OP has seen this recently and thought that it was a webcast. I believe that all church buildings with satellite reception are authorized for Priesthood session by default.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

I live in a Stake that has had problems with overcrowding for the General Priesthood session at the Stake Center (the police repsonded to complaints about illegal parking and had a conversation with the Stake President).

Since then, the broadcast has been sent via microwave to another ward building. Reports from those who attend the remote broadcast have been positive because of better parking and comfortable seats in the chapel.
robartsd

Post by robartsd »

michaelfish wrote:I live in a Stake that has had problems with overcrowding for the General Priesthood session at the Stake Center (the police repsonded to complaints about illegal parking and had a conversation with the Stake President).
I can see where parking could be an issue; the number of vehicles would be about the same as a stake conference session for the entire stake, and many stakes have multiple general sessions of stake conference with different wards assigned to different sessions.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:Additional facilities? Or a stake split? ;)

I was actually thinking in terms of him asking for a URL to feed the meeting to one of his buildings that did not have satellite service.

And yet, I still have never seen a case where there was not room for all of the brethren. As robartsd said, all of the satellites receive the broadcast.

Other than parking, I have never seen the problem.

As for parking, tell the brethren to park legally. AF 1:12. A deacon could give the talk at the next stake priesthood meeting. [gryn]
ThomsonMA

It happens

Post by ThomsonMA »

We have this problem as well. Our stake demographics are such that many adult sons and their sons return to their "home" stake for General Conference Priesthood meeting. We fill the Stake Center all the way back to and including the stage, plus the Relief Society and Primary rooms (every chair in the building is set up) and there are still people hanging in the hall that cannot find a seat. And yes, parking is a major problem.

It would be really helpful if we could webcast the proceedings to another building in the stake to spread the load.
CalS201-p40

Post by CalS201-p40 »

The night before General Priesthood Mtg, 1 of our 3 bldg satellite systems went "kapoot". SLC simply gave us a URL to a stream ...so.. via DSL, a laptop, and projector we were back in business that evening.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”