New PTZ software available for Sony EVI-D70

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
jimbo3san

Used RS232 instead

Post by jimbo3san »

@RusselHtn

We ended up not going completely remote and we setup the "control booth" in the overflow area off to the right near the video jack that feeds the system.

It was just as well, try as I might I couldn't get the RS422 to work. This was even using daisy chain cables from an "insider" at the Church. One of the managers over all this AV/webcast stuff for the Church is in our stake...

I checked and rechecked the pinouts of the cables (using a ohmmeter so I know that there was a definite connection), diagrams, everything. The USB to 422 converter seemed to be working but it was hard to tell. That could have been the problem. I loaded the drivers right of the manufacturer's site too. The version of Windows didn't seem to matter either.

So I ended up using 232 after all since the run was only 50'-ish. I found out that the software app that Louis (lpuster) wrote currently doesn't do multiple cameras but he has it on his list. I had to use two separate laptops, as well. It worked fine. I cannot say enough good about Louis' app. The GUI interface and the single step jogging capabilities are excellent and easy to use. Thanks again Louis! I am NOT a fan of the IR remotes. You simply can get the fine control you need from them.

I will see if I can get the 422 to work by next conference and go for the complete remote setup.

Jim B.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Let us know if you find a solution (and what the solution is) for RS-422 to work with PCs and the EVI-D70. I worked on it for over a week and even purchased an RS-422 board for the computer. No luck so I ended up purchasing the Sony RM-BR300 remote. It was expensive but solved all problems and works like a dream.
jimbo3san

Finally figured out the RS422

Post by jimbo3san »

michaelfish wrote:Let us know if you find a solution (and what the solution is) for RS-422 to work with PCs and the EVI-D70. I worked on it for over a week and even purchased an RS-422 board for the computer. No luck so I ended up purchasing the Sony RM-BR300 remote. It was expensive but solved all problems and works like a dream.

@michaelfish,

I did figure it out last night! I still have all the stuff here until today so I decided to solve the problem now.

Actually I was facing a number of problems. Some I should have known ("duh" type problems) and others were difficult. Here is my dissertation/work log to figure this out. If I was more systematic in my troubleshooting and read more documentation I could have figured it out much quicker I believe.[INDENT]1) Dip Switch: There is a 4 position dip switch on the bottom of the camera that determines the communication type. Switch #3 is the communication type (232 or 422). Be sure to set it to 422 :p (duh!) Oh, don't forget to power cycle the camera or the change won't take effect.

2) Drivers: Getting the right drivers for the USB to RS422 adapter for WinXP and Win7. I didn't know who the manufacturer was on the adapter. There were no ID marks or anything on the adapter itself. I actually Googled "USB to RS422" and found one that looked just like the one I had. It turned out to be from Startech. From their website I was able to get the right drivers, and the pin-out documentation which was a big help.

3) Bad Couplers: The cables that I received from HQ in Riverton had these RJ45 couplers that were then attached to a short length of CAT5e then to the green alligator-jaw connectors. This was to enable essentially any length of control cable to be "created" with the appropriate length of a patch cord. Problem here? The LAN couplers had intermittent connection problems AND one of the daisy chain cables also had a bad RJ45 clip on it. My solution (I am making these myself next time) will to be eliminate the couplers and use an RJ45 female jack and wire that to the CAT5e...a solid and reliable connection.

4) Adapters Going "Offline": The USB to RS422 adapters would need to be reset after a failed test. Meaning, while I was reconfiguring and moving stuff around and doing, "does this work?" tests, the adapters would go "offline" so to speak. I would have to unplug and re-insert to reset them. I didn't know this and this was cause for more headaches and time spent trying solutions that may have worked because the adapter was "offline".:mad:

5) Different Pin Configs:The D-Sub 9-Pin to RJ45 adapters were different pin configurations. I actually received two USB to RS422 adapters (long story here). They both had D-Sub 9-Pin to RJ45 converters attached to them and turns out they were different pin configurations! One is an RS232 to RJ45 adapter after ohm-ing out the device. I assumed that they were both for RS422...oops! :rolleyes:

6) Wiring Protocol: This next problem was more my lack of experience with RS422 communication protocols than it was an actual problem, but once the first problem occurred I began to question the pinouts and wiring. After much trial and error I couldn't get any movement. Then based on what I knew of RS232 protocols and a whim, I decided to connect TxD+ to RxD-, TxD- to RxD+, RxD+ to TxD-, and RxD- to TxD+ (rather than what is normally done). This was only from the controller to the VISCA connection on the first camera and BAM! the camera took off. Though, I still couldn't get the second camera in the daisy chain to work.

I Googled some info on this and I discovered that the "controller", depending on the controller, needs to be wired differently. I got a Sony schematic/diagram showing how an RM-B300 controller needs to be wired to the VISCA chain. I wired the RS422 adapter according to this. Now the 1st camera stopped responding, aaargh.:mad: So I put the configuration back to where the 1st camera was working, then rewired the other according to the diagram from Sony. And that did the trick! All cameras are now recognized and functioning.
[/INDENT]All in all it was a good learning experience. Probably more to hone my troubleshooting skills than anything else.

I hope this helps someone else that is trying to get this to work.

If you have questions, need ideas, or diagrams let me know. I may not be able to help every situation but doing this I know I can answer some questions.

Jim B.
ID: Jimbo3san
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jimbo3san wrote:I decided to connect TxD+ to RxD-, TxD- to RxD+, RxD+ to TxD-, and RxD- to TxD+ (rather than what is normally done).

I would have expected maybe TxD+ to RxD+. Not sure why the +/- flip.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jimbo3san

Post by jimbo3san »

@RussellHltn:

You and me both, but it works. Any other "recommended", "common sense" or "normal way" doesn't. The only thing I can perhaps figure is that the pin-out information in the Startech documentation is wrong...Here is the URL to the user manual. Check out page 4.
[INDENT]http://www.startech.com/media/products/ ... USB422.pdf
[/INDENT]I have ohm-ed the pins 3 times just to be sure that I wasn't up in the night (though I was).
tibbarjack

Post by tibbarjack »

Jimbo3san,

Thanks so much for doing alot of leg work to figure out the RS422 connection issues. Is there any way you can post a picture or drawing of the daisy chain to help understand the pin out. I have a usb to rs422 adapter. It is not a startech, but a different brand and I can get it to connect to one camera, but am unsure of how to do the rest of the daisy chain. I only have 2 cameras, but would like to control them from one computer using the sony demo software.
rubantin

Post by rubantin »

I just bought a 422 serial port card... I need to know the pinout of the Dsub port so I can run it to my D70 camera...

Any help is appreciated.
krebsj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: New PTZ software available for Sony EVI-D70

Post by krebsj »

This software is awesome! So much smoother than using the remote, thanks for creating it!

-Justin
kfred

Multiple cameras with D70 commander

Post by kfred »

I've installed the software, and it looks great! I initially installed with a single camera connected (COM6), but after adding 2 more cameras (COM1 and COM2), the software is only controlling the first camera connected (pressing F2 says "camera 2 not connected"), same with F3 - F7. If I plug in one camera at a time, it shows as com6 and the software will control it, so I know the cameras are all funcitoning. Are the camera COM ports stored somewhere? Any way to help the discovery process along?

Thanks,

Kevin Fredericksen
Lewisville, TX
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New PTZ software available for Sony EVI-D70

Post by russellhltn »

How are you connecting the multiple cameras? I'm thinking there may be a wiring issue that prevents the other cameras from working.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”