Videonics MX-1 Video Mixer Tips and Tricks

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
michaelfish

Re: Videonics MX-1 Video Mixer Tips and Tricks

Post by michaelfish »

You're right. But since most of us do not have access to the necessary test equipment, I had to do this the old-fashioned-way...watch the monitor and adjust until the blinking stops and then fine-tune the control for best picture, and TEST, TEST, TEST and TEST some more.

When testing, we were getting some flagging on one projector but when we set the Video Lock to 1 (shift-setup), the flagging stopped.

BTW, I now just go back from their conference and the results were flawless!
eanderson

Post by eanderson »

Just wanted to say thanks to the input on this thread. I was able to pick up one of these mixers for $50 off of KSL about a year ago. After replacing the power supply we have had great results. It's old technology, but solves the problem.

I have attached links of screen shots of our stake conference this past weekend. We are lucky to have a member of the quorum of the twelve apostles as a member of our stake. :)

http://i.imgur.com/w9cWf5b.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8UFVs9Z.jpg
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Awesome!
Tenderman

Post by Tenderman »

I've also used the MX-1 mixer for stake conferences and for streaming a live multi-camera feed to remote locations for stake conference. It will do all the things mentioned by others. One thing I would add is that you can add a TM2000 Titlemaker CG unit downstream of the MX-1 for adding titles, borders, etc. You can do it on-the-fly, so there is no extensive up-front time required to build titles and text. If they change speaakers, hymns or prayers you can add them on-the-fly. It has a preview output, as does the MX, so you can build offline, then 'play' the CG live.

Both units are available on ebay still. I just had our school get the MX-1 and the TM2000 for use in streaming of school events, and I believe they paid well under $250 for each. I own one of each and use them for remote multi-camera field shoots. The usual tips apply; use only 75 ohm cable for the video feed. My personal preference for audio is to use an external audio mixer. Behringer makes some very inexpensive mixers that work verry well for these types of shoots. For miking, I take an audio feed from the chapel sound system and if a choir is going to sing I put up a large diaphragm condenser mic. The Behringer has phantom power, so it can drive any condenser mic. I have found that the ADK A51 mic is very adequate. It performs right up there with the more expensive mics, and it gives you an acceptable "panic" audio source if someone on the stand shuts off the podium mic during a choir number (yes, I learned that one the hard way..) Pro audio toys has them for a very reasonable rate.
Definitely download user manuals for the videonics products to get the full use out of them. Here are some links to a source for free downloads for these products
http://www.lu-hilson.com/PDF/Videonics% ... Manual.pdf (MX-1 manual)
http://www.lu-hilson.com/PDF/Videonics% ... Manual.pdf
(TM2000 manual)
I've used both the s-video and the composite inputs, and mixed them (some s-video and some inputs composite) on the same live stream. for internet, the Videonics have plenty good quality.
I've also run across that converter issue w/ some VGA converters. Some converters sync rates are compatible, some aren't. Some can be used for 20 or 30 seconds before losing sync, so you can sometimes work around it. It's a good idea to have a camera ready to shoot the screen if it's a possibility.
I worked for 9 years as an audio/video engineer at a public access TV station, and these units are very robust for the price, and very capable of handling church A/V needs.
There are other solutions out there, but they are usually more expensive, and there aren't nearly as many still available.
jezielbs

Post by jezielbs »

I need some help. I speak Portuguese and so forgive me if you have errors in writing or syntax.

I have a Videonics - MX1 and use the channel 4 a computer connected to the VGA cable to an RCA converter. (VIDEO CONVERTER VGA TO VIDEO RCA ) . However 've used various configurations changed from NTSC to PAL -M , have used S -Video cable , and the image still Black and White .

When I connect the drive directly to the TV works perfect , his image has great quality .

When I use a black and white image as an example of the slide that was posted here the picture is perfect . However, when color image is shaky . Just a horrible quality.

On another computer with an older video card use an S -Video cable direct the board and colorful works normally , but for this computer with Geforce GT 630 card can not.

I thank to all who help .
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

My first concern is to assume the MX-1 was defective or not set up correctly - but you said...
On another computer with an older video card use an S -Video cable direct the board and colorful works normally
My assumption is that the computer with Geforce GT 630 or your scan convert is not outputting a signal stable enough that the MX-1 can process. The timing of a video and color signals is very critical and must be a high standard for the MX-1 to mix properly. A quality scan converter must be used to convert a computer's VGA signal to Composite (RCA) video.

There are two settings on the MX-1 which may help with your problem.

From the Operation Manual:
Input/Output Frame Rate Lock Disable: This setting (explained in detail in Chapter 18, “TBC”) compensates for slight deviations in video frame rate
between the inputs and the output. When it is locked (setting 0), the MX-1adjusts the frame rate of the output by very small amounts at the end of each
video field, to reduce or eliminate the need to repeat or drop video fields. This is the normal setting and is appropriate for most equipment. The ABCD buttons have no effect on Frame Rate Lock Disable — it affects all sources at once.

How to Turn Frame Rate Locking On and Off
To change the Frame Lock Disable Setting, press SHIFT and SETUP at the same time to enter Advanced Setup mode (Chapter 5, “Setup Screen”) and change the setting. “1” disables locking and “0” turns locking back on.
The Frame Rate Locking icon is the second from the left.

The other suggestion is the Chroma AGC setting (press SHIFT and SETUP buttons simultaneously, the Chroma AGC icon is the last one on the right. Use the ARROWS left and right to move, up and down to change)
Composite Chroma AGC: If a composite (RCA-style) input source has a weak color signal, the Mixer can be set to compensate. If a composite source
looks pale, set the Composite Chroma AGC setting to 1 and the AGC (Automatic Gain Control) will automatically adjust color levels on all composite inputs. Most sources have correct chroma levels and we recommend you leave this setting at 0. AGC does not affect S-video sources. You can adjust chroma AGC for each composite (RCA-style) source. Note that if the Setup screen shows that a source is set to use the S-video (Y/C) jack, the AGC setting will not change
Note: these settings will change back to their default values when the power is turned off, so you will need to change them every time the unit is turned on.

If neither of these suggestions work, you will need to use a higher quality VGA to Composite Video Scan Converter (Video Converter VGA to Video RCA).

I had to go through several scan converters before finding one that worked well. I recommend one from the Extron company.
jezielbs

Post by jezielbs »

Thank you For Tips . I will test the settings.

But from what you told me , you should probably be the same converter . And the converter Extron , I will try here in Brazil, but I believe it is hard to find .

I will put here on the forum the results I get .

All have a happy 2016 .
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

From what I'm reading, Brazil uses PAL-M, not NTSC, so that converter may not be the right choice.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rbeckley

PC Input to Videonics MX-1 Video Mixer Dropped

Post by rbeckley »

I hooked up a Windows 10 PC laptop computer to the MX-1(PC VHS output to converter to MX-1 s-video on input D) to do the PowerPoint text overlay described on the start of this forum. Everything was working ok during the live session, but after awhile the signal dropped. I no longer saw D as an input and was no longer able to add the text overlay to the camera video. After the service, I experimented with the PC and the mixer and was no longer able to establish a connection. It is as if the PC is not sync'd with the MX-1. Any suggestions on why the PC input was lost and how to prevent it in the future? Should I set PC display resolution down to 640x480? Should I buy a better converter like the Extron VSC 100 someone suggested?
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

I would first test both the PC and MX-1 to see if the PC output still works on a TV, and another source will work on the MX-1. Assuming that all works, then experiment with the PC resolutions. It's possible that the PC video is in Progressive Scan mode. The NTSC video input on the MX-1 needs to be Interlaced. Try 720x480i (Interlaced) at 30 Hz (Refresh rate)

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”