Videonics MX-1 Video Mixer Tips and Tricks

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
scottperkins4@gmail.com

Re: Videonics MX-1 Video Mixer Tips and Tricks

Post by scottperkins4@gmail.com »

I wanted to follow up. The flicker cleared up for me when I changed the frame lock to 1 instead of the default 0. We have to do it every time you start up the M1, but it works fine now. Thank you.
dustinaleksiuk

Post by dustinaleksiuk »

Have you seen any other issues since you've made that change? The mixer seemed to kick out for me yesterday about 1.5 hours into a 2 hour meeting. None of the lights changed on the machine itself, but it seemed to go out and then back in, so I lost video for about 5 seconds. The screens just went black. I immediately checked the advanced settings and the frame lock setting had reverted to 0.

Despite this, I'm going to use it for stake conference in 2 weeks, so I'll see how it goes.
JeffTurgeon

Post by JeffTurgeon »

We had this problem (video off/on flashing) and followed numerous suggestions here and around the web adjusting settings, upgrading the power supply, etc. and none of them worked. After continuous testing we found that there had to be some kind of difference in regards to the sync signals of the various cameras/computer video feeds.

Having only 1 video source at a time connected to the mixer worked fine but when multiple inputs were tied in to the mixer the problem would randomly pop up. I bought some good stabilizers and after placing 1 on each input video signal the problem never happened again. We were able to find some on eBay from $15 to $35 a piece.

If you want I can try to find the model we used and post a pic. I would suggest using the exact same model stabilizer on each video feed.
dustinaleksiuk

Post by dustinaleksiuk »

If you wouldn't mind digging up the model you used, I'd really appreciate it. If you can find them, I'll order some today. I was wondering if the problem might have been because of a weak signal from one of our cameras. Thanks for that response.
kevin.fairchild

Post by kevin.fairchild »

Just confirming that changing the lock from zero to one eliminates the flicker for me as well.
JeffTurgeon

Post by JeffTurgeon »

I tried to find a model number but was unsuccessful. Attached is a picture of two of the units we used.

I found one on eBay but the price they want is high.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Video-S ... 2a245da7a7

If you keep an eye out you may be able to get a better price. You may also wish to try another video stabilizer.
Attachments
Video Stabilizer.JPG
Video Stabilizer
(57.68 KiB) Downloaded 1012 times
dustinaleksiuk

Post by dustinaleksiuk »

Thanks a ton. That gives me a good idea of what you're talking about. I'll try to track some down. I'm pretty sure I only have 2 video inputs for this upcoming conference.
michaelfish

Flashing Video Solution

Post by michaelfish »

This past week I diagnosed a Videonics MX-1 flashing video problem for a neighboring stake and perhaps my findings may help someone.

For those that have experienced flashing video from the MX-1, it is most likely caused by sub-standard video signals. Cables can be too long, too thin, split with “Y” adapters, have bad connectors, or because cable adapters have been added. In addition, the video signal from your video device may be too weak or substandard. The result is that you may experience the “flashing black” video output. The MX-1 needs very good signals to work properly.

If you experience problems, try to diagnose which video source is the cause by reconnecting inputs on the MX-1 but leave one video source unplugged and reboot the MX-1. If the picture is stable, the input you left unplugged is probably in need of a better quality cable, shorter length, improved connection, no cable adapters, etc. You may try testing with the cameras and other video sources right next to the switcher (short wires) and judge results.

What I found:
The cause of the Stake’s flashing problem was that their Sony EVI-D100 camera run was over an old 100+’ RG-59 cable, fitted with F to RCA adapters, and the wire had been exposed to water and moisture over the years. Since we didn’t have time to replace the cable, I switched inputs 1 and 2 so that the best camera signal (and the shortest cable) was on input 1, and the flashing stopped. When input 1 was switched to a professional video camera run with a new RG-6U (65’) cable, and the old cable was switched to input 2, the problem disappeared. It appears the Time Base Corrected needs the best video signal on input 1.

Another big culprit is a cheap VGA to Composite computer video Scan Converter. These units (less than $50) do not have superior video signals but I have found an inexpensive solution.

The Extron company manufactures a line of professional VGA and MAC scan converters which have very stable video signals. For the price of a new “cheap” scan converter, you can purchase a good, discontinued, used professional scan converter made by Extron. Search eBay for "Extron VSC" and look for a model VSC-50, VSC-75 or VSC-100. I just purchased two VSC-100’s for $50 and I am getting rid of the “cheap” scan converter I purchased new. The difference between the models are added serial control or component outputs however, they all have a standard composite video output (on a BNC connector).
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Okay, I had a blinking problem on another stake's MX-1 and thought the mixer was defective so I brought in another MX-1, only to find the same problem, but I was able to fix it. This is what I found.

When I disconnected or switched around inputs, blinking stopped and would sometimes come back when I plugged in all of the cameras. Since the baluns used had luminance gain controls, I was able to completely correct the blinking problem by adjusting the gain of the balun (was too high). This supports the theory that if the video signal is substandard (over amplified, weak, cable run too far, too much interference in the line, bad cables etc.), the Videonic MX-1 mixer's output may blink.

High quality cable runs and/or baluns are a must! I recommend using baluns which have the ability to compensate for long cable runs. The Extron company manufactures high quality baluns with gain adjustment control.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelfish wrote:This supports the theory that if the video signal is substandard (over amplified, weak, cable run too far, too much interference in the line, bad cables etc.), the Videonic MX-1 mixer's output may blink.
So the question is, how can you adjust it for the optimal signal (and minimum chance for blinking)? Scope it with a o'scope to set the signal strength? Otherwise, it seems the only other way is to find the points where something bad happens and pick a spot in the middle. However, it may or may not be in the optimal zone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”