Lighting for webcast

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

Postby craiggsmith » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:51 pm

jdlessley wrote:What they really are saying is that they would have to submit a building configuration change request and incur an unplanned budget expense if approved. For some buildings this would deviate from the building plan standard which is quite hard to get approval to do.
I'm having trouble getting them to do pre-approved things, like network cable, so I guess I'll strike this one.
Craig
STS
South Jordan, UT

craiggsmith

Postby craiggsmith » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:52 pm

RussellHltn wrote:You might want to check the breaker panel. I'm fortunate that in our chapel (not standard by any means) the breakers offer better control then the switches do.

Interesting!
Craig
STS
South Jordan, UT

michaelfish

Postby michaelfish » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:42 pm

craiggsmith wrote:I tried to get our FM group to change what lights were on what switches but they said that was impossible.

OK, so here's a solution which really isn't practical but theoritically...you could put each light on an X-10 compact screw-in lamp module (see: http://www.smarthome.com/2005CM/X10-RLM20-LM15A-OR-PSM04-X10-SocketRocket-Compact-Screw-In-Lamp-Module/p.aspx) and control all them from one X-10 master control (40W to 150W incandescent lamps only).

craiggsmith

Postby craiggsmith » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:29 pm

Interesting option!
Craig
STS
South Jordan, UT

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:34 pm

michaelfish wrote:OK, so here's a solution which really isn't practical but theoritically...you could put each light on an X-10 compact screw-in lamp module (see: http://www.smarthome.com/2005CM/X10-RLM20-LM15A-OR-PSM04-X10-SocketRocket-Compact-Screw-In-Lamp-Module/p.aspx) and control all them from one X-10 master control (40W to 150W incandescent lamps only).

(Emphasis added). I wouldn't do that with CFLs unless they were the dimmable type. Even then it might not work.

Of course if you were in a position to be able to install them, you could just simply unscrew them for the duration of the conference.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

craiggsmith

Postby craiggsmith » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:52 am

RussellHltn wrote:Of course if you were in a position to be able to install them, you could just simply unscrew them for the duration of the conference.
With enough auxiliary lighting I guess that might be an option.
I forgot about the fluorescents not likely being dimmable.
Craig
STS
South Jordan, UT

rgme

Postby rgme » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:53 pm

In our broadcasts, we also have a lighting issue. However, I'm not too worried about the choir area being darker. Instead, I have a problem with the two spotlights from above being at such an angle that there are a lot of vertical shadows on the face (under eyes/nose). I like the spotlights, as they let me turn down the exposure (which gives some of the choir dimming effect), but I end up with either very dark eyes or very bright foreheads.

My question is this: are there any suggestions/recommendations for fill lighting from below? It would need to be very discreet, but bright enough to balance a couple overhead spotlights.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:12 pm

rgme wrote:My question is this: are there any suggestions/recommendations for fill lighting from below? It would need to be very discreet, but bright enough to balance a couple overhead spotlights.

The most important thing is to have the fill lighting the same color temperature as the main lighting. If those spotlights are halogen, then you'll need halogen fills.

I think you're going to have to experiment with lights, distance and angles. You can't use a dimmer without shifting the color. You might start with some of those "high intensity" desk lamps Seems like that would be about the right power for something close to the speaker. Just keep in mind the heat and avoid burning anyone or setting the cushions on fire.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

michaelfish

How to overcome lighting issues

Postby michaelfish » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:34 pm

The CES Devotional with Marlin K. Jensen (6 May 12) is an example of how overcome lighting problems! The broadcast took place at the chapel of the Mormon Center of the Folsom California Stake, next to the Sacramento CA Temple (if I deciphered the information correctly).

As you watch the video (link), you will see a wide-shot at 10 minutes (and also at an extremely-wide-shot at 11:00) showing most of the chapel. Notice all the lights are the same color (our chapel has a mixture of bulbs types resulting in various color temperatures).

Then at the 14 minute mark, the lights above the choir are turned off. While this was a little distracting to the congregation, the results were extremely helpful for the video. People in the choir are much less noticeable and back-lighting problems were diminished. Since the podium was well lit, I assume lights were added and focused at the podium. It appears two fill lights were used because I can see only two shadows of the microphone on the speaker's suit.

The technical crew knew how to make the lighting of this broadcast incredible (and everything else) - and in a regular chapel! While I'm sure this was a professional crew, ignorant people (like myself) could really benefit from knowing what to recommend/purchase and how to set it up.

It would be great if the technical team that produced this CES broadcast (Stand in the Sacred Grove) would tell us what the did to get better results broadcasting in a regular chapel.

Could some of you professionals help us out?

Person note: If you have not watched this CES broadcast, you're missing out! It is one of the best devotionals I've heard.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:38 pm

If you look at 1:01:57, you see an even wider shot that shows some of the lights.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”