Lighting for webcast

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
sammythesm

Postby sammythesm » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:53 am

michaelfish wrote:We have considered using PAR lights on the speaker also, so I'd be interested if anyone else has had success doing this.

The proper lighting is a source 4/ellipsoidal light. This is the type of light that has a great deal of focusing flexibility.

Also - to address the question of how they do it in TV/Conference center lighting - they do dim the choir, rostrum, and first few rows then have several very carefully focused lights on the speaker from lots of angles. The dimmed area is not totally dark, though. The rest of the 'dimming' is achieved through camera settings - which I'm not totally familiar with - but I think it's mostly a contrast setting.

To achieve this type of effect would require a HUGE investment in terms of time and money in a chapel, and would result in some pretty ugly wall/ceiling warts. I don't deny there is a problem in many buildings, but I'm not sure adding this type of lighting is the best solution.

michaelfish

Postby michaelfish » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:55 am

To achieve this type of effect would require a HUGE investment in terms of time and money in a chapel, and would result in some pretty ugly wall/ceiling warts. I don't deny there is a problem in many buildings, but I'm not sure adding this type of lighting is the best solution
What would be your recommendation? What type, quantity, wattage, angle (degree) etc. should I use? Although they may be expensive, I have lots of patience to find bargains.

I am mostly ignorant about lighting but I believe our Stake center's configuration would allow us to hide some fixtures pretty well. Also, they would also be only set up for a broadcast.

Chapel loft.jpg
(44.09 KiB) Downloaded 137 times

The rest of the 'dimming' is achieved through camera settings - which I'm not totally familiar with - but I think it's mostly a contrast setting

If the podium and speaker is lit brighter than the background, the iris in the camera(s) can be closed slightly so that a speaker's composition (lighting) is correct and the background behind the poduim will appear much darker.

In our case, there are so many lights falling on the white walls behind the choir, we actually have to adjust the iris down on each camera (which makes the speaker appear darker) in order to avoid over-exposing the white walls in the background (just like in the picture here...and this was taken with all the chapel lights on).

sammythesm

Postby sammythesm » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:43 am

michaelfish wrote:What would be your recommendation? What type, quantity, wattage, angle (degree) etc. should I use?

ETC and Strand are the big brands of theatrical lighting, though there are many other up-and-comers. "Source 4" is ETC's ellipsoidal light. In order to know what degree and wattage, you'd have to have measurements of how long the throw would be. A typical wattage I've seen used in most theaters is a 1000 watt bulb. You may be able to get away with less if you're just trying to get a little more light on the speaker's face (vs. totally lighting the speaker in a dark chapel)

The reason I recommend against trying to achieve the conference center effect, is that you need at least 3 lights (and preferably 4-6) to properly pull off the effect. They have to be mounted very specifically so as not to get odd shadows on the person's face. Then you still have the problem that you need to more accurately control the choir lights and congregation lights when the meeting transitions. That type of control can't be achieved with so many fluorescent lights in the chapel. Then there's a cost for a lighting control console and a dimmer rack. Plus, when you factor in all the wattage these lights can add, you probably need to then add more breakers and electrical circuits.

Just seems way out of scope for what is usually being done for these webcasts.

Maybe you could try just adding 1 or 2 lights on each of your ledges to help pump up the speaker's face a bit, but I'd recommend not trying the speaker isolation unless you have a lighting designer in your stake and a FM with unlimited budget and patience. :)

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:16 am

If you do use a couple of lights to light up the speaker's face, you might be able to find some gels to shift the color to match the florescent lights. Even in the Fireside video, I find the speaker's face is reddish while the background is green. Not quite as bad as I'd expect, but they didn't get it matched quite right.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

michaelfish

Postby michaelfish » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:51 am

In order to know what degree and wattage, you'd have to have measurements of how long the throw would be

The distance from the ledge to the pulpit is 45' and the ledge is 11' higher than the pulpit. The start of the ledge parallel to the pulpit so the lights could be at a 90 degree angle from the poduim. The ledge continues back about 50 feet or so (see picture)

Chapel loft.jpg
(44.09 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

Assuming 2 to 3 lights on each side, how would this be done and what specifics (wattage) would I look for. Remember, I no NOTHING about what I would need as I'm not familiar with brands and types of lights, what wattage would be needed, etc.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm not sure what to suggest other then to hit the yellow pages and see if you can find a theatrical lighting rental place in town. That would give you some access to local expertise and "try before you buy".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”