LDS Open Source Projects

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
jay.askren

h2database

Post by jay.askren »

h2database would be fine. Hsqldb just seemed to be the best thing I could find the last time I was looking for an embedded database. But that was like a year ago. I haven't tried h2database. I was also planning on using Hibernate as well. But I'm not picky about that either if there is something better. Should we take this discussion offline?

Also, looking at your project, MPL sounds like it would be a good license for this. I was thinking of hosting it at Google, but again I'm flexible.
HansenBK

Database

Post by HansenBK »

Derby is a pretty cool database too that has full Hibernate support. BTW, if you are going to use Hibernate, I would recommend using JPA over Hibernate.

The Pro EJB book has actually nothing to do with EJBs, but more of the Java Persistence API. Also the Java Persistence with Hibernate book just came out and seems to be pretty good.
HansenBK

Post by HansenBK »

jayaskre wrote:h2database would be fine. Hsqldb just seemed to be the best thing I could find the last time I was looking for an embedded database. But that was like a year ago. I haven't tried h2database. I was also planning on using Hibernate as well. But I'm not picky about that either if there is something better. Should we take this discussion offline?

Also, looking at your project, MPL sounds like it would be a good license for this. I was thinking of hosting it at Google, but again I'm flexible.
I would hope that wherever you plan to host it would have MySql or Postgres for a DB option. I would never ship a product with an embeddable database for production use.
jay.askren

Database

Post by jay.askren »

MySql and Postgres don't really fit this particular application since it is a desktop app, not a web app. It would make installation much more difficult for non techies. This appliation is precisely what embedded databases are made for.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

bh5k wrote:I would hope that wherever you plan to host it would have MySql or Postgres for a DB option. I would never ship a product with an embeddable database for production use.
If the intent was to make this networkable or web based, I totally agree with you. If it is designed to run on a local user's machine in a stand-alone environment (which it currently is) then an embedded database is much more effective in my opinion.

However it should be fairly trivial to support multiple DB backends.

Tom
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jayaskre wrote:Come up with a good name and get a domain name.[/LIST]
Can you clarify that point? Church policy at this point doesn't allow us to upload MLS data to other servers. I assume you're talking about a way to distribute the software rather then going with a web-accessed software.
jay.askren

Post by jay.askren »

That is correct. The domain name is just to have an easy way to find the software. Data resides on the user's computer and does not go anywhere else unless the user manually moves it somewhere else. The only exception is that if the user chooses to use the map features, addresses are passed to a Yahoo web service so they can be geocoded. No name or other iidentifying information is passed with the addresses to the web service. I don't believe Yahoo saves these addresses.
alphabeta-p40

Steward Management System

Post by alphabeta-p40 »

I've been asked to administer this piece of software for our stake. I thought I would pass it along as a possible project or at least one that should be duplicated as an open source project. The web-app is essentially a paperless stake/ward management system for callings and other work flow related tasks.

This is probably old news to all of you but just in case. Here is a link to the demo site. As far as I am aware about 7 - 10 stakes are using it.

https://www.stakesms.org/StakeSMS/Login.aspx?Stake=demo

--
Aaron
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

alphabeta wrote:I've been asked to administer this piece of software for our stake. I thought I would pass it along as a possible project or at least one that should be duplicated as an open source project.
Slick!

Who owns the code now?
ScottyB-p40

A few Items

Post by ScottyB-p40 »

Here's a few things I've done, or know about:

http://scott.barberfam.com/wp/2007/04/0 ... -ward-web/
http://scott.barberfam.com/wp/2006/10/2 ... ne-plugin/
http://ifyeareprepared.org/about

I'm excited about the greasemonkey script I wrote as it opens the door to other cool hacks. I'm working on a vonage "click to call" script next for lds.org

I wonder if there's someplace other that this forum where a software list can be maintained (some wiki?)

Return to “Other Member Technologies”