The LDS Linux Project

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
richardsontb

The LDS Linux Project

Post by richardsontb »

Anyone interested in forming a community to develop an LDS Linux?

Todd
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I think moderator will guide you to another thread about it.
I'm interested on it.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

todd wrote:Anyone interested in forming a community to develop an LDS Linux?

Todd

Todd, is this a repeat of the thread you started on 11th July 2007?

It was an interesting discussion back then with many good comments. For new people it could be helpful to explain in more detail what exactly "LDS Linux" mean.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dkjorgi wrote:Todd, is this a repeat of the thread you started on 11th July 2007?

It was an interesting discussion back then with many good comments. For new people it could be helpful to explain in more detail what exactly "LDS Linux" mean.
Actually, I disagree. If they want to know more about the idea or the project, they really should go to the other thread that you just posted a link to.
richardsontb

Post by richardsontb »

I am sorry. I am not meaning to offend anyone. My original idea of having the Church spearhead the project now sounds kind of naive. However, there seems to be enough interest within the LDS community to support a community driven project. Ironically, this has been the way Linux has been from the beginning. Yes, Netscape, Sun, Bitstream and many other corporations have made invaluable contributions. At the root, however, Linux has always been a grass roots project. I started a new thread to reflect my change in focus; away from expecting the Church to do the work and towards rolling up my own sleeves and getting some work done.

In regards to the type of distribution I have in mind, let me share a few links of other projects I would like to draw from. I plan on using the latest development tools from Puppy Linux. Specifically, the Woof distribution builder. Have no fear, I don't want LDS Linux to be another version of Puppy. My vision, rather, is to have something like Eeebuntu Base; Linux, a GUI and a browser. I have installed Eeebuntu Base on my Eeepc and find it very nice. I was able to install only the software I use. I like this. One thing I really dislike about most "live" distributions is that a default set of programs is installed; I don't like the clutter.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

todd wrote:I am sorry. I am not meaning to offend anyone. My original idea of having the Church spearhead the project now sounds kind of naive. However, there seems to be enough interest within the LDS community to support a community driven project. Ironically, this has been the way Linux has been from the beginning. Yes, Netscape, Sun, Bitstream and many other corporations have made invaluable contributions. At the root, however, Linux has always been a grass roots project. I started a new thread to reflect my change in focus; away from expecting the Church to do the work and towards rolling up my own sleeves and getting some work done.

In regards to the type of distribution I have in mind, let me share a few links of other projects I would like to draw from. I plan on using the latest development tools from Puppy Linux. Specifically, the Woof distribution builder. Have no fear, I don't want LDS Linux to be another version of Puppy. My vision, rather, is to have something like Eeebuntu Base; Linux, a GUI and a browser. I have installed Eeebuntu Base on my Eeepc and find it very nice. I was able to install only the software I use. I like this. One thing I really dislike about most "live" distributions is that a default set of programs is installed; I don't like the clutter.
I'm not trying to scare you off from the forums nor the community. I think the short yet descriptive summary that you provided is terrific. I agree that this new thread should have a new focus from that of the old thread. For anyone wanting to see background information that got you where you are now with this newly focused idea, the thread previously linked to would be the place to visit.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I was able to install only the software I use
I never installed Puppy, neither use Netbook (eeePc) so I don't know how it works.
My experience is that often program's name are not self-explaned.
So I think new installation program must be done to give a real chance to choose the rigth and needed programs.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

mkmurray wrote:Actually, I disagree. If they want to know more about the idea or the project, they really should go to the other thread that you just posted a link to.
I dont think the last thread left me thinking "yeah this is going ahead" as many challenges were raised and never really tackled so now that we have a new thread I was just wondering what was different about the "project" this time around so I could appreciate it better.

I guess I am also still trying to get my head around what exactly "LDS Linux" mean and what exactly it is all about.
meffordm

Post by meffordm »

todd,

I have to agree with dkjorgi. What exactly would you like to see in "LDS Linux"? In my opinion, if there are certain apps you would like see, then write the apps a distribute them. But, if you want to change something deeper in the OS, what would that be?

Are you wanting a more LDS friendly distro? If so, what would you suggest changing or adding? The kernel, the OS, the GUI?

Michael.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Many of these questions have been raised before in the previous thread that prompted the creation of this thread. This previous thread was linked to earlier, but here it is again in case people are missing it:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=560

Todd did make an effort to answer some of these questions and issues raised in that thread. If there are further concerns over the project idea or you feel there are still unclear terminologies, I still argue that the previous thread is the place to discuss them.

Todd has started this thread to discuss implementation of a new project and get a feel for how much community involvement there would be. The only reason I am making a fuss about all of this is because this thread is beginning to have the same purpose as the other thread, and having the same discussion on two different threads is less effective and less cohesive.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”