Church Logo: Use and Protection

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Alan_Brown wrote:If you're talking about the font that is used in the official logo, I'm pretty sure it is a custom font.
Yes, Alan's correct. It's a proprietary font licensed only to the Church.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I once found a font in the Interleaf publishing system that was nearly a dead ringer for the Church font, but even then there were some differences. That was back in the early 1990s.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

II've heard somewhere the font name the Church is using now is called 'Deseret'. This came up in the discussion relating to the BYU logotype.

It is a a variant of Times Roman and its lowercase all-caps version, but the tails and some curved letters are different. Haven't seen HTF Requiem or the others mentioned, and the Optima variant mentioned is not of the new logo, but of the logo that was used for over 20 years before the new logo was created.

The new logo and font was created so it woulod look good in electronic publications as well as print. A good example is this site and anything else the Church runs officially.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

The HTF Requiem is used at the Medallion BYU, BYU-I, BYU-H and LDSBC marks. It's only present at the place when, at BYU logo, is show "Brigham Young University - Provo, Utah -". The Church uses this font at Church Publications and BYUs and LDSBC uses it as a first choise for official publications.
The word mark "Brigham Young University" uses the Official Church Logo Font, like BYU-IDAHO, BYU-HAWAI'I and LDS BUSINESS COLLEGE, etc.
I heard that these font (the Church Font) are made as a variant of HTF Requiem and Trajan, purchased by the Church from HTF with exclusivity for it, and is called "Deseret" true. But when we search "Deseret Font" at Google, only the creations of Deseret Alphabet from Brigham Young time are available.
(sorry for these bad bad English... again, hehehe ;-) )
pantherjad-p40

Downloadable Church Logo (Adobe Illustrator File)

Post by pantherjad-p40 »

I found a location where you can download what appears to be the official logo in an Adobe Illustrator format (vector and all!). http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/ ... 71379.html

To me, it appears to be THE logo (although, I suppose it could be a replica).

In any case, an AI file like this is your best bet for electronic versions (as opposed to cutting it out of a pdf from other sources).

I am glad the Church and its universities and affiliates have a well organized plan in place for uniform branding. In this day and age, and in our world, reputation and dignity is based on perceptions and, unfortunately, too often today's perceptions are shaped almost exclusively by various types of media (I mean all forms of media, not just broadcast). Thus, a good brand identity in the form of uniform logos and even typeface, can lend a lot of legitimacy and dignity in a world where no one pays attention to substance. I wish we were in the old days when people were smart enough and independent thinking enough to listen and think about the substance of our message. But unfortunately the church is forced into being very particular about its branding in order to blaze the path for others to hear our message. They are doing a great job of it, I love the brand!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

pantherjad wrote:I found a location where you can download what appears to be the official logo in an Adobe Illustrator format (vector and all!). http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/ ... 71379.html

Since the site you linked to is not an official Church site I would be wary in using such a source. It is safer to use only Church sources for something this important.
pantherjad wrote:In any case, an AI file like this is your best bet for electronic versions (as opposed to cutting it out of a pdf from other sources).
Copies of the logotype that may be photocopied or scanned are provided in Church Name and Logotype Guidelines for Local Units. After scanning from this source you can save the electronic version for any authorized use of the logotype.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

pantherjad wrote:I found a location where you can download what appears to be the official logo in an Adobe Illustrator format (vector and all!). http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/ ... 71379.html

It's close, but no banana. The capital "J", "C", and "R" are noticeably different.

It gave me a couple of chuckles, though. The 4th line of the file says:

Code: Select all

%%Title: Seventh-day_Adventist_Church.eps
Obviously a typo. ;)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I would recommend that people do not use logos found off of 3rd party servers. The Church has terms and conditions for the use of it's logo and other church resources.

Tom
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Obviously this is not the official logo of the Church (just look and you'll see that it is very different. The logo in the new version of Mormon.org is also very strange (although it was produced within the headquarters of the Church). If you put that logo along with the logo found on LDS.org you will see that Mormon.org's logo is very strange now.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I'm not seeing any real difference between what is on the current mormon.org site and lds.org when it comes to the Church logo.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”