Church Logo: Use and Protection

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
zabaki

Post by zabaki »

Church logo's can be found within PDF versions of church material. such as PMG.

I've used it in missionary work, when making invitations and such things.

Though it probably would be the wisest to e-mail the church for approval.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zabaki wrote:Church logo's can be found within PDF versions of church material. such as PMG.

I've used it in missionary work, when making invitations and such things.

Though it probably would be the wisest to e-mail the church for approval.
It's good that you are actively doing missionary work and making invitations. But the Church is very careful about how its logo is used, and the quality of the reproductions of the logo when it is used.

Please review this post much earlier in this thread, which makes it clear that the logo is to be used only for official Church purposes, unless specific permission is granted by the Church Intellectual Property department.
zabaki

Post by zabaki »

I'm having a bit of difficulty finding out who to contact to get in touch with someone within the church, whom I can talk with about GFX for mission.

I'm a full time missionary serving as a IT helper fixing MOS, networks, but also doing GFX, such as pass-along cards, posters, and more.

I know the church has a lot more available than just the things that I can find on the net.
Do you or anyone have any suggestions of where to go to get more approved material.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

I understand that the Church need to make your viewpoint about his logo and trademarks more available to Church leaders in his needs.

For exemple, some years ago I can help an adventist friend in a project related with graphics products for his congregation in our city. The Adventist Church publishes a guidelines handbook (http://www.adventist.org/logokit/GSMENG.PDF) and it make much more easy to understand the corporative views of the church in the use of its trademark.

I believe that our Church have a document like this (to guide employees, for exemple). If a document like these can de available to Church leaders our work will be best and we will understand more easy the places where the logo is aplicable and where not.

Other thing is that in US and Canada you can request letterheads and other stationery by LDS Distribution Services, but in other countries we don't have these things. If guidelines are turn available, we can create these documents in international areas more easy and professionally.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Of course it's only one idea.

The Church can say that CHQ published instructions in 1996 (see file 35654059 - sorry, I don't have the file in English) and after in 2000 (see file 35554000) but these instructions is only a basic view on the matter enclosed to President Packer's letters.

If a most compreensive document is published on this subject, we can understand better the places when the logo is available to use or not, and how reproduce the logo with dignity, quality and inside Church and copyright rules.

An official place for download the logo in all the languages is an interesting feature too (it can be lds.org/logos, for ezemple).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sorry MorettiDP, I removed the files you attached. There seems to have been some changes in the last few months about access to the church logo. It seems much more restrictive now.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

RussellHltn,
What do you mean with "more restrictive" rules. There is a new document (more recent) on the subject?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

MorettiDP wrote:RussellHltn,
What do you mean with "more restrictive" rules. There is a new document (more recent) on the subject?
Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything us Moderators can give you a link to right now. You will have to trust us that we have been communicating with Church employees privately on this matter.

Perhaps a Church employee can make a statement here in the thread to tell the Community a little bit about the subject. I apologize I have to be so vague at the moment.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

No problem, mkmurray. I trust in you. I can understand it. I can understand the reason for the Church protect its copyrights, this is normal and is a protection for us too.

I would be really happy if some Church employee could explain more about this subject to us. It would be very useful.

Remember that this topic begin in 2007 when I detected problems with the use of the logo in units and departments in my own country. Since then, I found problems not only in the use of the logo in Portuguese, but in the use of the logo in English and other languages too.

If the Church is so concerned with a correct self presentation (and I agree that it's the correct), then it should concern itself that all departments and operations had the logo presentation correctly. If the international units must produce your letterhead papers and envelopes (and this causes problems), imagine the MLS (which still has a logo not formatted in Portuguese reports) or the strange version of the logo in Mormon.org and other Public Affairs Department sites (like the Preposition 8 site too - see above) that are produced inside the Church headquarters.
This problem should be smaller if the local units in international areas have access to the same procedures as the units of the United States and Canada has to order stationery. The biggest concern about the logo is not just to create materials for external use (like missionary invitations and cards or invitations for meetinghouses dedications, for example) but to create documents for internal use that need to be properly standardized, like letterheads and envelopes, that are used to report Administrative or Disciplinary Actions and even to use in documentation to government issues (taxes and tributes reduction forms, for example).
I understand that I can be a little critical on issues of graphic images, but it is my specialty as a Computer Technician. I really like this area. Sorry if I exaggeration in this matter.
Mormon.org LDS Church Logo versus LDS.org LDS Church Logo
Attachments
seethis.jpg
seethis.jpg (7.67 KiB) Viewed 4515 times
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

larrydkb wrote:Now that this whole forum is public, will a kind moderator delete my posts wherein I included the logos?

I'm for making the logo available to members, but I sure don't want it out in the open.

My posts do not include an option for editing or deletion. Thanks.
A PM was sent to you. One post was deleted.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Other Member Technologies”