Can I set a preferred home page after logging in? Can my login be remembered?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
sasgrw

Can I set a preferred home page after logging in? Can my login be remembered?

Post by sasgrw »

I seem to do this all the time.

1. new tab
2. lds.org
3. sign in
4. tools > clerk resources
5. do whatever task
6. close tab
7. oops, forgot something
8. new tab
9. lds.org
10. arg, have to sign in again
11. tools > clerk resources
etc

If I'm going to the calendar or directory, it's not as bad because those items are on the Tools menu from the main lds.org website. But to get to clerk resources, I have to login first, then go to tools. I'm a minimalist typer (and mouse-clicker, although I prefer to navigate using the keyboard)

When going to the calendar or directory, all I have to do is:
- click tools
- click directory
- (prompted to login)
- type id <tab> password <enter>
and I'm there.

To get to clerk resources I have to:
- click signin
- (prompted to login)
- (taken back to main lds.org page)
- click tools
- click clerk resources

Granted, it's not much more but it feels like a lot more. It'd be great if there was a preferred home page option, kind of like browsers let you set your home page. That way all I'd have to do is:
- click signin
- (prompted to login)
- (taken to my favorite lds home page)

I'd set mine to clerk resources but it could be directory or calendar or lesson scheduler or maps or whatever.

Yes, I know I could create a bookmark for the clerk's homepage and that it would automatically prompt me to login, but I don't like to rely on bookmarks. I'd prefer to type the address. I can remember 'lds.org' fairly easily. Plus bookmarks don't travel. If I save the bookmark in one browser on one machine, if I use a different browser, or say I'm at the public library using their computer, I won't have that bookmark.

My second request is for my login to be remembered. Even if just for 15 min. I know for security reasons you want a login to timeout. Similar to how banks, credit cards, and investment firms handle their websites. But it'd be nice if it could be remembered for a short time. In my list of steps above, if I forgot to do something and have to bring up a new tab and go to lds.org again, I have to signin again.

Same thing with multiple tabs. If I'm signed in and looking at a report and I want to bring up another report but view them at the same time, I have to bring up another tab, signin again, then go to the report. It'd be nice if the 2nd tab already knew I was signed in.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You could go direct to the URLs:

lds.org/church-calendar
lds.org/directory
lds.org/leader
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

I like the 'leader' one, thanks. I didn't realize that 'leader' and 'clerk resources' have the same menu (resources, membership, organization, reports). I can remember lds.org/leader better than https://www.lds.org/mls/mbr/index.html

It also looks like if one of my tabs is logged in and I bring up a new tab with lds.org/leader, I don't have to re-login on the new tab. That's great. If I try going through lds.org then leader, I have to re-login.

Return to “Main Church Website”