Page 1 of 1

Japanese translation errors

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:14 pm
by gbw42
I've noticed a few minor, but very confusing, translation errors in the Japanese version of the Tools section of the LDS website. I don't know if this is the right place to point those out, but perhaps someone can direct me to whomever can get these fixed.

In the calendars subscriptions page where it shows the status of your subscriptions as either "Subscribed" or "Unsubscribed", the Japanese has "登録する" (register) and "登録の停止" (unregister) respectively. Leaving aside the word choice, you don't want to have a button showing "Subscribe" (or "register") when the actual status is "Subscribed", and a button showing "Unsubscribe" when the status is actually "Unsubscribed".

The choice of "登録" (register) over "購読" (subscribe) is not necessarily an issue if it's used consistently across the site, but it's not. The menu item you choose to get to the subscriptions page uses "購読" (subscribe), but when you actually get to the page it uses "登録" (register).

I also noticed that on the Lesson Schedules page, when you go in to the administration section and select Add Class, for "Class Duration" it shows "クラス時間" which makes it sound like the time the class meets rather than the range of dates the class will be available (I recommend using クラス期間). And then if you've selected "All Year", in English you're asked to "Choose a year", but in Japanese you're asked to "年齢を選択" (Choose an age, as in student age group; I recommend using 年を選択).

I haven't been through the site with a fine tooth comb. I just happened to come across those in the course of using the site as an aid to my calling. I know it's tough to get every detail perfect on such a massive undertaking in multiple languages, but as these are particularly confusing examples, it would be best to fix them as more and more Japanese members begin using the site.

Warm regards,

Glenn

Re: Japanese translation errors

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:04 am
by johnsonth
Glenn, thanks for reporting this issue. I logged two bugs for this to be addressed in future releases. (LUC-3485 and LUAL-456.)