LDS.org to get major style update, updated header

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: LDS.org to get major style update, updated header

Post by sbradshaw »

Another item of feedback: The church logo isn't prominent enough, being overwhelmed by the account and region menus on the left. I would suggest making the logo a bit bigger, moving it up a couple of pixels, moving the account and region menus down a bit, and reducing the vertical margin between the account and region menus.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

Thanks for the feedback folks. I won't respond to specific design concerns at the moment, but the weird login state is an issue we have just been made aware of. It is only affecting some people. You don't see your name or logout options but you are still logged in and able to go to sections that require authentication (directory, calendar, etc). We are looking into it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:I don't see how any of the common destinations have any additional clicks.
More than the old way? No.

But with the re-design I become aware of how many clicks it does take. I can't think of any other site where I have to do two mouse clicks to get to the login screen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

We believe that the issue around the sign in loop and not seeing your name and sign out link has been fixed. Please give it another try and let us know if you still have problems.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
aebrown wrote:I don't see how any of the common destinations have any additional clicks.
More than the old way?
No, I meant no additional clicks over your proposed change.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:No, I meant no additional clicks over your proposed change.
On closer examination, Calendar and Directory are there under "Quick links" (have to scroll down a bit). If that section could be made sensitive to if this browser was previously used by a member who had logged in as opposed to a non-member/visitor and adjusted the quick links appropriately, that would help.

But in that case I'd like to see quick links move up high enough so that no scrolling was needed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

barkeraj wrote:We believe that the issue around the sign in loop and not seeing your name and sign out link has been fixed.
It appears to be working for me now.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dpenrod75

Post by dpenrod75 »

I like the new site much better. To me is less cluttered and puts focus where it needs to be. I like the white background. To me it's much easier to concentrate on the items that need concentrating on.

I hope you all don't do anything major with the site in the near future with all the feedback I'm sure you are to get. The one thing that annoys me the most are sites that keep changing almost weekly and then I have to constantly refigure out the new way to login or get to a report I just looked at days before.

A update to the site that helps one person who gave feedback, could annoy and make another person frustrated. Consistency and training to me is the best approach for long term support. Of course, bugs and errors need immediate attention and need to get fixed.

Thats just my two cents.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I am pleased that navigation has mostly remained the same. I got one of those surveys last year about a redesign and one of my big concerns about some of the proposed redesigns was not messing with navigation. It still feels pretty good to me, like I don't have to relearn everything.

One thing I've found I don't like is when reading scriptures and other articles: there is a maximum width for the content. No matter how big I make my browser window, the main text stops widening and I'm just left with lots of whitespace on the right and left of the content area. I have a 27 inch monitor. I know it can be hard on the eyes to have paragraphs that wide, but I prefer to control my reading experience by changing my browser window width; not having a site limit me. I do most of my study online and I find I really don't like the maximum width. The content is already adaptive for smaller screens; let's just get rid of the max width.
mevans

Post by mevans »

mevans wrote:One thing I've found I don't like is when reading scriptures and other articles: there is a maximum width for the content. No matter how big I make my browser window, the main text stops widening and I'm just left with lots of whitespace on the right and left of the content area. I have a 27 inch monitor. I know it can be hard on the eyes to have paragraphs that wide, but I prefer to control my reading experience by changing my browser window width; not having a site limit me. I do most of my study online and I find I really don't like the maximum width. The content is already adaptive for smaller screens; let's just get rid of the max width.
I'm going to correct a little bit of my observation above. I happened to use a different computer last night that still had open pages from the old LDS.org. I guess content on the old LDS.org did have a maximum width; however, its maximum width didn't really bother me. I didn't look at technical details to see if the new maximum width is the same or less; there is a different font and size on the revised site. It's just that my overall observation in reading on the new lds.org is that I feel constrained with the maximum width; it's less than what I want it to be. I hope someone might increase it.

I suppose if no one does anything that I could install one of those browser add-ins that lets me tweak the CSS, but I'm going to hope that since barkeraj is asking for feedback that the church will at least review this consider changing it.

Return to “Main Church Website”