Auto login to churchofjesuschrist.org web pages

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
johnshaw

Auto login to churchofjesuschrist.org web pages

Postby johnshaw » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:48 am

I couldn't find a previous thread on this but I'm sure there are some. Have others found a way to automatically login to these pages. Nothing, and I mean nothing discourages me more from access these pages than the tediousness of having to click on My Ward and account, then clicking Sign in, then putting in my username and password, then clicking on OK - AND THEN waiting to see if I'm actually returned to my page or some other random main page that is decided for me.

Is there some kind of chrome add-in that has a macro or something that I'm just too lazy to figure out?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Auto login to churchofjesuschrist.org web pages

Postby jdlessley » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:07 pm

You could use the autofill feature of the web browser to store your credentials. Select the "Customize and control Google Chrome" icon (vertical stack of 3 dots) and scroll down to the Autofill section to select "Passwords" to change the settings. Turn on "Auto sign-in". Make sure the website "https://ident.churchofjesuschrist.org/sso/UI/Login" is there or add it and then enter your username and password

Other than that there is no automatic logon feature or a "keep me logged in for two weeks" feature as found for familysearch.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:41 pm

Auto-fill works fine. You may have to dig around in your browser as it may have a "don't remember this sites password" turned on for churchofjesuschrist.org.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:09 pm

I believe some password management software has the ability to automatically log you on to a web page based on the credentials stored in the password manager. I have not tried that feature in the one I use so don't know how well it works. Of course, then you would have to log in to the password manager first, which kind of defeats the purpose of avoiding entering credentials every time...

johnshaw

Postby johnshaw » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:09 pm

I have credentials stored, that really isn't the problem, three fact that I have to click two times to just get to the point of inputting the username and password. I use LastPass to store and autifill.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Have you tried bookmarking the URL to the pages you want to access? If it requires a login, it will prompt you if you're not currently logged in.

For example, https://directory.churchofjesuschrist.org will take you to the login page. If you've got autofill working, just click the sign in button and you're at the directory/maps. I'd imagine you could even put that URL into a shortcut on the desktop. That would take you from desktop to directory in two clicks.

The only problem with that method is the URL does change from time to time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

johnshaw

Postby johnshaw » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:11 pm

russellhltn wrote:For example, https://directory.churchofjesuschrist.org will take you to the login page. If you've got autofill working, just click the sign in button and you're at the directory/maps. I'd imagine you could even put that URL into a shortcut on the desktop. That would take you from desktop to directory in two clicks..

Yes, that does work, I've been typing lds.org for 2 decades and it was so easy, I guess I'm just thinking about how to work from there. Changing muscle memory is not easy. It isn't in my muscle memory to use a bookmark to hit a church website, but it looks like that's my best option.

thanks everyone!

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:58 pm

johnshaw wrote:It isn't in my muscle memory to use a bookmark to hit a church website, but it looks like that's my best option.

I had to go through all of my bookmarks and change lds to churchofjesuschrist.

drepouille

Postby drepouille » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:46 pm

Me too! I don't have many, but I did update all of them.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

mevans

Postby mevans » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:17 am

Since you mentioned you're using Last Pass, I thought I'd mention a feature I discovered recently: You can set domain equivalencies. This allowed me to tell it that lds.org, ChurchOfJesusChrist.org, and FamilySearch.org all use the same passwords.

I don't know if there are good auto-login solutions for consumers. At work we had an enterprise SSO solution for a while. The provider understood how to log in to a variety of websites used by companies. I believe it gave you a launcher page and it would log you in to the website. You didn't have to think much about it. The nice thing about the solution was that if you alerted the provider to sites that didn't work (because the login method was changed), their programmers often times had a fix in place within a couple of days. I don't remember the tool, and I don't know if it was available for consumer purchase (the real money is often times in the business enterprise).

Too bad only 2 of us at the company (me and someone else) used it. The CEO saw low adoption and stopped paying for the service :(

Return to “Main Church Website”