"Adaptation and Optional Resources" GHB 0.2

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
BrianEdwards

"Adaptation and Optional Resources" GHB 0.2

Post by BrianEdwards »

Both online and on the app, the General Handbook 0.2 chapter "Adaptation and Optional Resources" has two icons which I assume are some kind of link placeholders, but don't do anything. Another post on the Forum caused me to see what the current Handbook says about adaptation, and when looking at this chapter I found that the Guidelines for adaptation appears to not be linked to any actual resource.

I'm fine with submitting feedback about this, to see if it's simply an oversight or perhaps still one of the in-process parts of the GHB. But I first wanted to see if other Forum members either were able to access the adaptation resource in GHB 0.2, or maybe had insight about where else I might look online (or the app) to find the adaptation reference.
eblood66

Re: "Adaptation and Optional Resources" GHB 0.2

Post by eblood66 »

I think those icons are markers that are used elsewhere to indicate places where there are guidelines for adaptation or where there optional resources (see for instance section 12.1.3). I do not believe they are supposed to be links to specific other pages or documents.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:(see for instance section 12.1.3).
If I click on that one, get a new sidebar referring me to 0.2.

So, in this example, it seems to be referring me to that section as an added resource.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:So, in this example, it seems to be referring me to that section as an added resource.
I think the link is just to let you know what the icon represents. The icon itself just says that the section contains information on how to adapt to different circumstances. I don't think the icon is anything more than just a marker and isn't intended to be a link to any additional information.

The icon is also present in section 11.1.3 which also links to section 0.2. Again, I don't think the intent is that there is any other adaptation material but rather that the section includes adaptation information (in this case that age groups can be combined if there aren't enough young women in a single age-group to make a reasonable class).
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

So if I understand this: throughout the GHB, wherever I see the "Adaptation" icon, that particular section has information on how we might adapt what's being discussed to our unit needs. And wherever I see the "Optional Resources" icon, that section would then have some kind of additional info (possibly via a link). While this is great, from a unit-point-of-view it's difficult for us to know what parts of the HB might contain details about flexibility and adaptability, unless we search the GHB for these icons (which would be awesome if we could do it, but I don't know of a way to search for all current sections with "Adaptations").

But this really is just another example of the "problem" with a live document such as the GHB, where updates and edits can be made at any time. And even if you think you're familiar with a Chapter, it might have been updated since you last looked at it. That said, I'm much happier with this "problem", than with a printed GHB that doesn't get updated for years!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm not currently in a calling that influences decisions about ward organization (so I haven't needed to find adaptation information in the new General Handbook), but it seems like it should be easier if adaptation information is right where the other information is. For example, if I wanted to know how young women classes should be organized in my ward, I would find everything I needed in 11.1.3. The alternative would be to look in 11.1.3, then if I'm lucky, remember that there's an adaptation section somewhere else in the General Handbook, then look there, then reconcile any differences between the two in my mind when making a decision. Is there a use case for reviewing all of the edge cases from different sections of the General Handbook, independent from their sections?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Main Church Website”