an important issue on lds.org

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

scion wrote:Ummmmm . . . my experience with LDS sites has taught me that:
1) I can't tell if the feedback actually went through when I just get a white screen.
2) I have no record of what I sent unless I keep a separate copy (no cc: to self option).
3) A handful of times over the years I have gotten an unclear email about how they read all feedback, but since there is no quote, I have no idea to which feedback it refers.
4) I have never received a follow-up question or comment that related to my feedback, so I wonder if feedback goes somewhere (refer to #1), is it to a black hole?

Yea I know that, and unfortinutly we just have to take their word that they got it, I did suggest previously that they would e-mail you a confirmation email and give you a site that you could see the progress or rejection (and reasons why) of your requests.

I am sure that they get the feedback read it and then put it on the queue, but they just forget or don't want to email the person in return. Of course they could be slowly improving the feedback option too.
scion wrote:Secondly, what priesthood leader do I know who would want feedback about the church websites? If the feedback isn't going anywhere and, unlike business websites, the LDS site lacks any contact information for key people, how would I know who these priesthood leaders are, what their titles are, and how to reach them?

Good point, though it is up to the stake president to chose one for that if it is not himself.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Ummmmm . . . my experience with LDS sites has taught me that:
1) I can't tell if the feedback actually went through when I just get a white screen.
2) I have no record of what I sent unless I keep a separate copy (no cc: to self option).
3) A handful of times over the years I have gotten an unclear email about how they read all feedback, but since there is no quote, I have no idea to which feedback it refers.
4) I have never received a follow-up question or comment that related to my feedback, so I wonder if feedback goes somewhere (refer to #1), is it to a black hole?
Sounds like we have some "bugs" in the usability of the feedback system. We do get literally thousands of feedback items. Many are the same things, some are unique. I can't speak as to the process taken by the group in charge of that area as I'm not aware of how they operate but I have spoken with individuals who say that they do have a team of people that review feedback items.
Secondly, what priesthood leader do I know who would want feedback about the church websites? If the feedback isn't going anywhere and, unlike business websites, the LDS site lacks any contact information for key people, how would I know who these priesthood leaders are, what their titles are, and how to reach them?
Please use the feedback forms. Although the process may be flawed, all items do get reviewed. We will work on the process.

Tom
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

For those who wish to post feedback for lds.org, you can find the feedback link at the top of every page or you can visit this link.

Tom
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I sent feedback about three years ago on several ideas I had for lds.org once I learned they were looking at revamping the site. Actually got responses. One came a week later, the other came back six months later when someone was able to as the suggestion was rather detailed.

So they do get the feedback sent to them.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

JamesAnderson wrote:I sent feedback about three years ago on several ideas I had for lds.org once I learned they were looking at revamping the site. Actually got responses. One came a week later, the other came back six months later when someone was able to as the suggestion was rather detailed.

So they do get the feedback sent to them.

Though responding to the feedback might be delayed as your post showed.
- David
Alex Morris-p40

jesus topic

Post by Alex Morris-p40 »

I was saddened to read your post that you felt that you needed to write directly to the First Presidency about the issue of the website not having a direct link to Jesus Christ. There are so many layers of personnel that could have addressed your concern without needing to go straight to the top. The contact points within the website are fixable and further fluid in content. The review process is always in motion. Your suggestion though a valid point about the lack of direct connection to our relationship with the Saviour did not need to be in my view resolved at that level......
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alex Morris wrote:There are so many layers of personnel that could have addressed your concern without needing to go straight to the top.
I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand I suspect that simply sending it though feedback is a little too low and may not be elevated to the right level. But most members have no clue who to contact except the very top.

Who is the GA over the web page? What is the line of authority? Does it report to the Presiding Bishopric, or does it go direct to the Quorum of the 12 or First Presidency? Without a knowledge of the power structure, it's hard to know where such a concern should be sent.

On the other hand, I'd expect anything addressed to the First Presidency is screened by assistants so that it was re-directed to the appropriate person for action.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

I'm sure Joel Dehlin got it to the right place. Moderators - Pardon if I'm too revelatory here and feel free to edit or delete my post, but it is my understanding that all Internet sites and activity are managed through the Church Internet Development Group (CIDG) which is headed by Larry Richman (see ldswebguy.com) and Ron Schwendiman. They would be good contacts. :)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

kgthunder wrote:I'm sure Joel Dehlin got it to the right place. Moderators - Pardon if I'm too revelatory here and feel free to edit or delete my post, but it is my understanding that all Internet sites and activity are managed through the Church Internet Development Group (CIDG) which is headed by Larry Richman (see ldswebguy.com) and Ron Schwendiman. They would be good contacts. :)
This is correct.

Tom
edwardlalone

Post by edwardlalone »

RussellHltn wrote:I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand I suspect that simply sending it though feedback is a little too low and may not be elevated to the right level. But most members have no clue who to contact except the very top.

You should contact your Bishop or Stake President because they are only a few people removed from the the Quorum of the Twelve and First Presidency. Also, let's not forget that Stake Presidents are called by the General Authorities and are trained by them therefore they are more likely to pass it on to the right leaders. The General Authorities have repeatedly stated that you should not write directly to the First Presidency or General Authorities instead we should use the proper priesthood channels. If and when our ideas or feedback warrants the attention of the First Presidency or other General Authorities it will make its way to them. If it does not it is because our idea or suggestion isn't that important and we need to accept that every idea that comes out of our heads isn't always the greatest idea just because we thought of it.
Who is the GA over the web page? What is the line of authority? Does it report to the Presiding Bishopric, or does it go direct to the Quorum of the 12 or First Presidency? Without a knowledge of the power structure, it's hard to know where such a concern should be sent.

It should be sent to your Bishop (or Stake President) who will determine whether it is something he can handle or if the Stake President should handle it. If the Stake President cannot handle it than he will send it to his direct report among the General Authorities who will in turn make sure that it gets to who it needs to get too. The only reason that we need to know who the General Authority responsibility for the webpage is because we think we are VIP's and don't have to go through proper channels. If every member of the Church were to go directly to the General Authority responsible for the website every time they had a comment or idea about it that General Authority or General Officer would not be able to perform any function other than to listen to feedback from members. This also goes for feedback we submitted through the website. If we don't get a response it should not concern us. It has reached someone and just because we don't get a personal response or see the change we want doesn't mean that it hasn't been read by the right people but simply means we aren't enough to receive a personalized responsed as there are 12 million members and these people are going through 1,000's of feedback.
On the other hand, I'd expect anything addressed to the First Presidency is screened by assistants so that it was re-directed to the appropriate person for action.

If you send a letter directly to a General Authority they are going to read it. I doubt very much if the First Presidency would delegate this task to someone other than one of themselves or the Quorum of the Twelve as some people write about very sensitive matters. If a member of the Church wants to make sure that the right people see their suggestions than they should go through the Bishop and Stake President because they have direct contact. If it is some minor technical issue or such than there are forums such as this one where issues and suggestions can be discussed. Also, to send suggestions directly to the First Presidency because we think that an Assistant will screen it is the wrong attitude since the time and talents of these Assistants are being wasted screening suggestions. It is one thing to have a Bishop screen, then the Stake President, then a General Authority screen these but another entirely for a group of people who are assistants to the General Authority screen letters from the entire membership of the Church. We have a priesthood line and we know exactly what that line is and it starts with our Bishop.

Return to “Main Church Website”