Best practices for Facebook

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
1968leocomeeatabite

Re: Best practices for Facebook

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

sbradshaw wrote:I agree with kellymab that for a ward you will probably want a group.

For a stake, whether you want a group or a page depends on how much you want people to interact. In our stake, we decided that we wanted interaction and fellowshipping to be strongest on the ward level (i.e. Facebook group) and on the stake level we just want to broadcast information (i.e. Facebook page).

I think that having a Facebook group for a stake would be difficult to manage and would invite a lot of spam posts, however, it may work better for some stakes than others.
Could you please relate, how you deal with the photos and permissions of specific people (in a picture) on your ward and stake social media sites?

I seems to me that some photos will be desirable and especially for that years Ward History. :)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:I seems to me that some photos will be desirable and especially for that years Ward History. :)
Photos of members used in the annual history require written permission on a form that must be submitted as a part of the history.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lajackson wrote:
1968leocomeeatabite wrote:I seems to me that some photos will be desirable and especially for that years Ward History. :)
Photos of members used in the annual history require written permission on a form that must be submitted as a part of the history.
There are two forms needed when submitting photos for the annual history. The "Permission to Use Photographs" form is to be submitted and signed by the creator and owner of the photographs and audiovisual productions. It is a certification of ownership. It is not for the permission of the subjects (individuals in the photo) to use their likeness. The second form, the "Annual History Consent Form", is a form to get signed permission from nonmembers to use their personal information and/or photographs used in creating local histories. An additional document, the "Church Data Privacy Statement — Annual History", provides the legal privacy statement for the use of personal information and/or photographs. It is used in conjunction with the Annual History Consent Form.

None of the annual history forms are used to get permission from Church members to use photos of the member or that include the member.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
1968leocomeeatabite

Bishopric photo on Facebook group

[Moderator note: This question was originally part of this post, which was in a topic for a completely different issue. Please follow the Code of Conduct and "Do not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread."]

Another question or feeling of your opinions.
We will be having an approved group by our bishopric shortly. My thought was to do a collage or probable two pictures joined together on the header or home of our ward group with a picture of our bishop and his two counselors and the temple in our district. I felt that this would be a great ICON or way to promote the beginning of our Facebook presence. As long as our Bishopric approves and we have there written permission to post the photos, I could not think of any reason that would prevent us from doing this. the only guidelines or rule that might come close is the following:
Examples of Inappropriate Uses
The following are some examples of inappropriate uses:
• In addition to his personal account, a bishop creates a separate social media profile for “Bishop Young.”
• Reason: A profile should never be named after or promote a specific individual.

By posting the bishopric picture up at the top or header of the group in my mind does not promote an individual. It does promote our Bishopric , but we as a ward look up to them, as we should. there is the fact that they hold a sacred office and it is to be regarded with dignity.

Do you think that by putting this collage of our bishopric and temple at the top of our group presence is a good ideas and does it support all the guidelines and purposes of stated good practices?
Last edited by aebrown on Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Note split of post, link to Code of Conduct
1968leocomeeatabite

kellymab wrote: --- Just remember anything in the info box is public. It is a good habit for the admins to check their "other" message folder as non friend messages may end up there from people wishing to communicate.
I am using and dealing with a closed group.
Where is this info box? are you referring to the description? How have you used the "Files" feature? :?:
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

Yes, the info box is called "Description". It is on the right hand side under the list of group members. The name has changed several times over the 11years I've been on fb. :-/

For the files feature, we have uploaded activity fliers, YSA conference outlines, an address list of buildings we commonly use. It's not used as often.
1968leocomeeatabite

kellymab wrote:Yes, the info box is called "Description". It is on the right hand side under the list of group members. The name has changed several times over the 11years I've been on fb. :-/

For the files feature, we have uploaded activity fliers, YSA conference outlines, an address list of buildings we commonly use. It's not used as often.
Thank you for your help. I assume that the files are attached to a specific post then? Just wondering if this might be an alternative to posting rules and guidelines or maybe in both the description and files? Here I am again assuming that files would give a larger space than in the description?
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote: I assume that the files are attached to a specific post then? Just wondering if this might be an alternative to posting rules and guidelines or maybe in both the description and files? Here I am again assuming that files would give a larger space than in the description?
We actually have a fairly large description for my ward. You do have to expand it to see the whole thing.

The files when added look like posts that you share a website in. But they also show up in the files tab for quick reference. From my experience, unless you pound it into people's heads that it's there, no one looks at files.
1968leocomeeatabite

jdlessley wrote:
lajackson wrote:
There are two forms needed when submitting photos for the annual history. The "Permission to Use Photographs" form is to be submitted and signed by the creator and owner of the photographs and audiovisual productions. It is a certification of ownership. It is not for the permission of the subjects (individuals in the photo) to use their likeness. The second form, the "Annual History Consent Form", is a form to get signed permission from nonmembers to use their personal information and/or photographs used in creating local histories. An additional document, the "Church Data Privacy Statement — Annual History", provides the legal privacy statement for the use of personal information and/or photographs. It is used in conjunction with the Annual History Consent Form.

None of the annual history forms are used to get permission from Church members to use photos of the member or that include the member.
This Info is important to know! But,
It is not for the permission of the subjects (individuals in the photo) to use their likeness.
Has the church provided a form for the ward to use to get permission to post a photo on an authorized ward presence on social media like facebook? Or has any one created one that we could tweak for our ward? Are we suppose to make our own from this example? https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/c ... elease.pdf
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:None of the annual history forms are used to get permission from Church members to use photos of the member or that include the member.
That is true, but there is one important note regarding nonmembers: There is a separate Annual History Consent Form specifically for nonmembers which includes this wording: "Although I am not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (“the Church”), I authorize the Church and its affiliated entities to collect, process, use, and transfer to other countries and/or legal entities my personal information and/or photograph as used in creating a local history of the Church (“History”)."

So as I see it, there is no requirement for permission to use photographs taken of members in the annual history. This is not a published history, after all. So the questions about posting on social media are certainly good questions, but you are not going to get much help from the annual history forms or documentation.

Return to “Emerging Technologies”