Sacrament Hymn

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
fifehutchins

Sacrament Hymn

Post by fifehutchins »

I recall in a Music Handbook long ago and far away that we were instructed not to play the Sacrament Hymn as filler, waiting for the Priests to finish breaking the bread. There is nothing about this one way or the other in our current handbook 2. So should we? Shouldn’t we? Does it matter? Do we go with local custom?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Sacrament Hymn

Post by jdlessley »

There may have been such instruction in the pre-2010 change to the Handbooks. Today it appears after reading the complete section 14.4 in Handbook 2 that the emphasis is on maintaining the spirit. The details of how that is done is left up to the local priesthood leadership and the inspiration they receive. The current guidance to playing music in relation to the sacrament is found in section 14.4.4, third paragraph, that states "No music should be played during the sacrament prayer, while the sacrament is being passed, or as a postlude after the sacrament is passed." So other than that, it is up to the bishop as to what is appropriate regarding continuing to play the sacrament hymn music while filling the time from singing and awaiting the sacrament prayer.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:it is up to the bishop as to what is appropriate regarding continuing to play the sacrament hymn music while filling the time from singing and awaiting the sacrament prayer.
In my stake, if the song finishes and they're still preparing the sacrament, the organist plays. The better ones play quietly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

fifehutchins wrote:I recall in a Music Handbook long ago and far away . . .
I probably have that handbook on my bookshelf (and a few earlier versions, as well). I do not remember that instruction, only that the organist does not play during the administration of the sacrament or immediately afterward. Bishops I have served with always suggest that if the organist plays anything after the congregation finishes singing, they should finish before or at the same time the priests finish and not cause any delay in the meeting. For a really short hymn, most organists I know will play through the hymn one more time, then stop.

To further add to the very unofficial contents of this very unofficial post, my father was always fond of saying, "The priesthood does not need accompaniment."
janhermansen

Post by janhermansen »

As for my three boys told me; they like the organist to keep playing so that they don't feel like being on display when there isn't music playing. So, in respect of the feeling of the priests blessing the sacrament, I will continue to play unless the bishop tells me otherwise so that the Priests don't feel anxiety while finishing breaking the bread after the congregation stops singing.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

For reference (since the original discussion was from before the new Handbook), the current policy is described in GHB 18.9.3 Guidelines for the Sacrament. It is similar in language to what was stated earlier in this thread, and there is nothing exactly specifically describing what to do after the congregation is done singing, if the bread is still being broken. Any former priest will empathize with that scenario, as we all lived through it many times ourselves!

That said, what is authorized is a congregational hymn. And what is prohibited is music during the passing or after the ordinance finishes. My feelings from reading the guidance, is that additional instrumental music after the congregation finishes singing, might not meet the intent of the policy, even when well-intentioned. Your mileage may vary, and local leaders have discretion where the handbook is silent, which is always a good thing.

Return to “General Discussions”