Payments for missionaries serving from the ward with COVID-19 returns

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cummingsj17

Payments for missionaries serving from the ward with COVID-19 returns

Post by cummingsj17 »

Does anyone know yet how payments will be working for missionary accounts now that all foreign missionaries have been returned back to the states? Curious if SLC will be aware of this and be able to track the changes and decision missionaries make to hold out for a bit, etc.
davesudweeks

Re: Payments for missionaries serving from the ward with COVID-19 returns

Post by davesudweeks »

I'm confident SLC is aware of the missionaries and where they are (and if they have been released or not). I suspect no one on this user-to-user mutual help forum know what the Missionary Department is planning to do regarding the payments. It is highly likely no one here will find out before anyone else.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:I'm confident SLC is aware of the missionaries and where they are (and if they have been released or not).
However, I wouldn't be surprised but what some things will happen automatically and have to be manually backed out.

On top of everything else, we have the usual issue of timing in determining if the final month is charged or not.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
hmsummit

Post by hmsummit »

What about missionaries that had prepaid the entire 24 months and came home 3 months early? Anyone know what happens to the $1200 left in the accounts?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

hmsummit wrote:What about missionaries that had prepaid the entire 24 months and came home 3 months early? Anyone know what happens to the $1200 left in the accounts?
The money stays in the ward missionary fund. You may wish to read this topic.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

In addition to that topic, you may want to review the information at https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/help/support/missionary-finances. The second paragraph under "General guidelines" gives stake presidents and bishops the responsibility to make sure that families understand the concerns with prepaying for missions. In my opinion, this responsibility also extends to clerks who have more frequent opportunities to observe missionary finances and are also responsible to assist bishops with the responsibilities for finances.
tviehweg1

Post by tviehweg1 »

When does the increase to $500 monthly for missionaries go in to effect?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There was a 17 April 2020: Missionary Fund Adjustments notice announcing "[t]he increase in monthly charges to the ward missionary fund to $500 USD (or the local equivalent), scheduled to begin July 2020, will be delayed until further notice." There has not been any further notice since that notice.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mdarring

Post by mdarring »

I have a couple in my ward who was planning to leave the country back in January, but have changed to serving as local missionaries for the stake. Their missionary account shows a negative balance of over 7,000 USD. How do I reverse these charges and who do I contact to let them know the couple is not on their mission? The stake clerk said I should "call Salt Lake". Any input on who to call and what number to use?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

mdarring wrote:Any input on who to call and what number to use?
I sent you an email.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”