Online Tech Talk Coming Soon

The latest forum news and information
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

GarysTurn wrote:Will the Tech Talk be recorded and made available so those that were not able to see it live can see the recorded version later.
I know I saw this somewhere in someone's post or in the announcement on the homepage, but I remember the answer being "Yes", I thought...
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

You will have the opportunity to watch it afterward as well.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I received an e-mail today from Tom Welch, inviting me to participate in the Tech Talk, and providing the same registration details that Cassie just posted on the front page of LDS Tech. I imagine many of us received the same message -- I'm guessing it was sent to registered users on this site. So the communication process is proceeding, and I am looking forward to the Tech Talk!
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:I received an e-mail today from Tom Welch, inviting me to participate in the Tech Talk, and providing the same registration details that Cassie just posted on the front page of LDS Tech. I imagine many of us received the same message -- I'm guessing it was sent to registered users on this site. So the communication process is proceeding, and I am looking forward to the Tech Talk!
Yes, I have a question about the streaming link listed in the email. For kicks, I clicked on it to see what it's streaming. Apparently, BYU TV is streaming at that link as we speak. I wasn't aware BYU TV was being streamed for anyone to watch at anytime; is that true?

And then I guess my follow-up question is if the Tech Talk streaming link will always stream BYU TV when not in use for Tech Talks? Or is the Tech Talk somehow being broadcast over BYU TV?! (not likely)

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:Yes, I have a question about the streaming link listed in the email. For kicks, I clicked on it to see what it's streaming. Apparently, BYU TV is streaming at that link as we speak. I wasn't aware BYU TV was being streamed for anyone to watch at anytime; is that true?

And then I guess my follow-up question is if the Tech Talk streaming link will always stream BYU TV when not in use for Tech Talks? Or is the Tech Talk somehow being broadcast over BYU TV?! (not likely)

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much about what is streaming right now. Indeed, BYU TV is always streaming (see http://www.byutv.org/streaming/).

The particular URL for the Tech Talk does include /techtalk. I imagine it just redirects to BYU TV for now at this point, but I'm confident it will direct to the right stream when the time comes.
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

Yes it will, don't worry about that!
peden-p40

Meeting Venue

Post by peden-p40 »

Unfortunately, I do not have easy access to a computer with a windows operating system. All the computers I use have Ubuntu Linux as their operating system. That being the case I will not be able to attend the tech talk due to it being broadcast using the (excellent) gotomeeting.com service.

If staying with Gotomeeting is not imperative for some reason, I suggest using another service which has wider operating system compatibility for the next tech talk. One that I know of is webex and it is excellent as well.

Thank you for offering the tech talk!
blmcewan-p40

Post by blmcewan-p40 »

In response to those local being off the meeting. . .

Caveat Emptor (sp?) meaning buyer beware--was a phrase I learned in business law years ago and I pull it our when I'm teaching classes now and then where similarly applicable.

Caveat Emptor applies to the Internet--slow bandwidth happens and who is to say it's on the origination. Everyone wherever they are down the street or around the world should have opportunity to be in.
mikengray-p40

Less Microsoft-centric applications part 2

Post by mikengray-p40 »

From the forum above:
Stream will be in windows media format
Here is a note to Mac users:

The stream for the online tech talk will be in windows media format. To view this event, you will need to obtain a plugin beforehand.

My point exactly. Too much dependence on Microsoft applications in my opinion..... :(
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

mikengray wrote:My point exactly. Too much dependence on Microsoft applications in my opinion..... :(
Let's try to keep this thread focused on the Tech Talk. (Just trying to avoid a discussion or debate that we've already had on other threads on these forums)

Return to “Announcements & Policies”