Tech Talk Follow Up

The latest forum news and information
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:When I maximized Windows Media Player, it actually was pretty small (like 20% of the screen at most). But if I pulled it out to a window that I could move around and resize, it scaled to whatever size the window was at.
It defaulted to something like 75% of my screen. I never run it that large.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

If you're using Windows Media Player, the window size vs picture re-size, and what happens when maximized, are all user adjustable settings.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

rhusted wrote:Here is an update regarding Subversion: go to the following URL to test your subversion connection:
https://tech.lds.org/svn/test

Subversion authenticates against the LDS Account.

The Forum DOES NOT authenticate against LDS Account (it will be changed in the FUTURE to authenticate against LDS Account, but at present it doesn't.)

All is Ok but sign out. Just close the page.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

marianomarini_vi wrote:All is Ok but sign out. Just close the page.
What you are saying is that there is no way to "sign out" from the SVN page? The only option is to close the window/tab?
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

mkmurray wrote:What you are saying is that there is no way to "sign out" from the SVN page? The only option is to close the window/tab?
You make me happy! That's exacly what I mean.
Or you are very smart o my English is not too bad|!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Alan_Brown wrote:Note also that at the end of the Contributor's License Agreement it says:

That last sentence in ALL CAPS seems to indicate that there is more to SVN access than simply having an LDS Account login.
SVN Access will be open to anyone with an LDS Account but commits will be limited to those who sign the agreement. Some special project may even require more vetting of a user's skill set but that has not firmly been set yet.

Tom
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Alan_Brown wrote:One technical glitch that was a bit distracting, and would be worth fixing for next time:

I kept both the video stream and the webinar screens open. The webinar screen showed the presentation; the video stream switched between the presentation and showing Joel talking. The webinar display of the presentation was much clearer than the video (an obvious result, given the technologies used). Much of the smaller text on the video was quite unreadable, whereas the same text on the webinar was crystal clear.
We learned a lot during this process. Thanks for the great feedback.

Tom
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Alan_Brown wrote:I really enjoyed the Q&A. I thought Joel did a great job of answering questions clearly and concisely.

For future tech talks, there is definitely some room for improvement. It was obvious that some questions were queued up -- you even had some images ready to show as part of the responses. And yet on the other hand, it seemed odd that several questions were repeated -- that showed that either those questions were not prepared ahead of time, or the preparation was inadequate.
Yes, we queued some questions pulled from the forum up. The problem is that we did not queue enough up and quickly ran out of questions because Joel was answering them so fast.
Alan_Brown wrote:There were many questions that were posted on this forum ahead of time that in my opinion were entirely appropriate, and yet did not get addressed. I was disappointed that the Q&A segment was so short, and it seems that with improved preparation, there could have been many more questions answered, while still staying within the one hour time limit. I can see how it is quite challenging to handle questions posed in real time; personally I wouldn't mind if most if not all the questions came in advance.

Here is the problem with many of the questions. They were not "inappropriate" but were "unanswerable". For example we could not answer many questions about MLS because Joel does not make product decisions for MLS. So many questions like "when are you going to add additional phone numbers to a member record" simply could not be answered by Joel. Also, Family History questions fall into this same category. So the take away we learned is that we need to have representatives from the different departments available for the Q&A section.

We need to have more questions queued up because it was very difficult to moderate all of the questions coming in and filter them, reword them as necessary, and feed them to Joel. That takes time. We had about 8 QA moderators filtering and then sending them to me. I then had to pick from that list and retype them on the screen Joel could see. So we will revise this process to make it much more streamlined.
Alan_Brown wrote:Is there any thought of the schedule for the next one? Will these be 2, 3, 4 times a year?

We don't have the next one scheduled yet but will be meeting soon to discuss.

Thanks!

Tom
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

Have they posted the recording of it? I can't seem to find it.

Skip
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

avskip wrote:Have they posted the recording of it? I can't seem to find it.

Skip

The recording will be posted within the next two weeks. Watch LDS Tech for an announcement when it is posted.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct

Return to “Announcements & Policies”