Missionary Online System Question

Discussions about other Church websites
zaneclark

Missionary Online System Question

Post by zaneclark »

I am a stake clerk and one of my assignments is to keep track of the date and location for the missionaries. Their are several listed under "Assignment Made" who have no date or location listed even though they have been on the Assignment Made list as far back as January. Is this typical of the way the process works?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Missionary Online System Question

Post by aebrown »

It doesn't matter how long they've been on the "Assignment Made" list; the popup help for the Mission column says:
Assignment information is only available starting 30 days prior to the date the missionary is scheduled to enter the MTC.
Until that date, you have to rely on the date listed on the call letter instead of the online system. And of course, since the online system doesn't have that date, you don't know what "30 days prior" will be until it happens.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I noticed in the 'help" link on the Missionary site that it still refers to "Call Letter Sent," but the category is now called "Assignment Made." I couldn't find a "feedback" to ask if the description of this category was still valid, i.e, has the call letter been sent? Do you happen to know the answer to this? Don't fail me know... I rely on you to know everything!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:I noticed in the 'help" link on the Missionary site that it still refers to "Call Letter Sent," but the category is now called "Assignment Made."
It does appear that the help for this category (both in the popup help when you click on the ? icon, as well as the full help system) still refers to "Call Letter Sent," but the category is now indeed called "Assignment Made." I don't think this is any substantive change in the process, but simply a change in terminology.
zaneclark wrote:I couldn't find a "feedback" to ask if...
There is a "Contact Us" link in the header near the right side that does the same thing as the "Feedback" link in other places on LDS.org.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

zaneclark wrote:I noticed in the 'help" link on the Missionary site that it still refers to "Call Letter Sent," but the category is now called "Assignment Made."
The date is the same, and is the date the assignment has been made and the call letter has been sent to the prophet for approval and signature. This is usually late in the week, and the signed letter is normally placed in the mail early the following week (usually Tuesday) to the missionary.
asiegbuj

Post by asiegbuj »

a mission call was assigned yesterday, for a young man in my ward, how long will it take for him to receive the call letter?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

asiegbuj wrote:a mission call was assigned yesterday, for a young man in my ward, how long will it take for him to receive the call letter?
If he lives in the U.S., he will probably have it by the end of next week, if not sooner. I haven't had access to the system for a while, but when I did there was not a way to know when the call was assigned. We saw the date the letter was sent, which was not the mailing date of the letter, either.

The "Letter Sent" date was always a Friday, and the missionary usually received the call letter the following Thursday or Friday in our area, which was three mail traveling days away from Church headquarters.

Sorry to be so unhelpful. In actuality, he will receive the call letter when the U.S. Postal Service puts it in his mailbox which, sadly nowadays, takes longer than ever.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Juliesamuel wrote:how can I check if I have been assigned?
or is it only my mission president that can have access to that?
You will know you have been assigned when your call letter arrives in the mail.

Your mission president is able to see the approximate date the call letter was written, but nothing more than that.

If everything is in order with an application when it is submitted by the stake or mission president, a call is often received within two weeks. But there are so many variables that you will not want to mark your calendar. Just keep preparing as you have been so that you will be ready whenever the call comes to serve. As hard as it is to wait and as exciting as the anticipation becomes, don't just sit by the mailbox. There still is plenty to do both before and after your call arrives.

And congratulations.
paolanolli

Post by paolanolli »

How long does it take for a call letter to arrive outside the US, say Latin America?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

This is a better question for your Bishop/Stake President
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Other Websites”