Name for Priesthood Leader and Clerk Training Site

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

Local Unit Training Center

This would allow you to expand the scope of the site at any time without renaming it or having content seem out of place.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nbflint wrote:Local Unit Training Center

This would allow you to expand the scope of the site at any time without renaming it or having content seem out of place.

I think the problem with that is at this point the site has to exclude ecclesiastical training. So the proposed title seems too broad given that a different department may start a site aimed at the Priesthood Leadership dealing with spiritual matters.

I could go with something like Local Unit Administrative Center. (Assuming that the department in charge of FM/PFR would be using this as well.)

Question: I'm wondering if maybe the site is too broad and perhaps should be broken up? Perhaps separate Technology from Membership/Finance. That would simplify the naming.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
winegarl

Possibly following Leadership Training Library concept

Post by winegarl »

The "Leadership Training Library" concept may suggest something like Administrative Training Library". Their nice dashboard could be emulated with our design? This name is very simple and yet broad enough to include Auditing, Technology, Recording in Finances, Organizations, History, Materials, Seminaries and Institutes, Membership; being inclusive enough for Priesthood Leader interest, yet not supplanting Leader Training Library.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

WinegarL wrote:The "Leadership Training Library" concept may suggest something like Administrative Training Library".

I like that line of thought.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

WinegarL wrote:The "Leadership Training Library" concept may suggest something like Administrative Training Library". Their nice dashboard could be emulated with our design? This name is very simple and yet broad enough to include Auditing, Technology, Recording in Finances, Organizations, History, Materials, Seminaries and Institutes, Membership; being inclusive enough for Priesthood Leader interest, yet not supplanting Leader Training Library.

Training Library sounds fine to me (although I still prefer Learning Center) but personally I don't like the Administrative part. It makes me think of something involving headquarters rather than a local unit. It's true that clerks provide administrative support for the bishop and ward but I don't think of myself as an administrator. When we talk of the administrative office we are referring to the CHQ or the area office.

But maybe that's just me.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

eblood66 wrote:personally I don't like the Administrative part....

But maybe that's just me.

No, it's not just you. "Administrative" is too general a term -- you can administer anything. And I agree that it also makes me think of CHQ, not the individual wards and stakes.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

Why not simply, 'Training Center,' or 'Training Library'? When the user logs in the 'Training Library' would either display trainings applicable to their calling or a message that says, "There are no trainings currently available for your calling. Here are some resources you might find helpful," along with some links to the applicable content on lds.org.

As far as the site title being too broad, you fix that by organizing your trainings into categories. This approach allows you to meet the current scope of the site and makes future scope expansion a breeze. Starting with a pigeon holed site title makes future expansion more troublesome. While there may be no plans to expand the scope now it is poor system design to assume there never will be.

winegarl

"Administrative" definition

Post by winegarl »

The word administrative describes people involved in carrying out duties and responsibilities or describes tasks required to carry out duties and responsibilities. (adjective)
An example of someone who does administrative work is a secretary.
An example of administrative work is doing filing.

I feel this definition of administrative well describes our target audience, and the functions we wish to train/perform. It also is differentiated from but not fully exclusive from leadership.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

nbflint wrote:Why not simply, 'Training Center,' or 'Training Library'?

Because as others have noted, there already exists a Leadership Training Library for priesthood leaders. I like keeping the same idea and somehow distinguishing it. "Records and Technology Training Library" perhaps?
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

mfmohlma wrote:"Records and Technology Training Library" perhaps?

I like this. Sticking with the precedent of a 'Training Library' that has been set with the Leadership Training Library will create a sense of cohesiveness for those who will be using both libraries. 'Records and Technology' encompasses Clerks, Asst. Clerks, Executive Secretaries, and the STS.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”