Annual ward history template?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
rocknrone

Annual ward history template?

Post by rocknrone »

I'm a new ward clerk working on my first annual history. The ward historian has asked all the auxiliaries to submit a small history so she can compile it into one. We have just started it and some of the leaders are already complaining.

I have read all the info on the church web site and understand what needs to be included. What I haven't found is a template of questions that could guide everyone through the process.

It is proposed.......(to use a church phrase)........that those on the forum submit thought provoking questions that we can compile into a template, to help each presidency contribute to the ward history.

Such as....

1. What activities did your quorum or group participate in that helped to introduce a non member to the gospel.

2. What activities did your quorum or group sponsor to help reactivate it's members.

3. Describe any service projects your group participated in and how they helped those involved.

I think if they had a place to start they could complete this without much complaining.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I think you'll find the Stake, District, and Mission Annual Histories page very useful. One of the resources there is the Stake, District, and Mission Annual Histories Guide. In that guide you'll find the "Priesthood and Auxiliary Report (template)" which includes questions to get people started.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mtgrind

Re: Annual ward history template?

Post by mtgrind »

I agree with this new ward clerk I have found myself in the same situation were I was called towards the middle of the year and not knowing that I had this responsibility and so when the Stake Clerk ask for your history it is difficult to make one up in a timely manor. And having a template that would be available to edit on line to your needs would be a big help. Thank you I really would appreciate your help.

Brother Toftdahl
Fullerton YSA
taranich@yahoo.com

Re: ward history template?

Post by taranich@yahoo.com »

I have been called to be the Ward Historian. I don't know how to get started. Is there a template I can use?
Thank-you
Terri Aranich
taranich@aol.com
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: ward history template?

Post by lajackson »

taranich@yahoo.com wrote:I have been called to be the Ward Historian.
Start here to see what is expected of the stake. These materials and guides also show examples of how a ward history is prepared. These are the best materials I have seen on the subject.
marykfoskey

Post by marykfoskey »

Where can I find a template for the Bishops signature and approval?
K. Foskey
Macon, GA Ward Historian
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

marykfoskey wrote:Where can I find a template for the Bishops signature and approval?
K. Foskey
Macon, GA Ward Historian
Our cover letter is provided each year by our Stake Clerk. In addition, he provides information on what our stake would like each unit to put in their ward history.

I write up the general ward information as the clerk - if the individual organizations choose to not provide anything for the ward history in a particular year, then so be it.
allendreher

Post by allendreher »

This is my first time as stake clerk putting together the annual history. I have some information from the previous stake clerk, however, I have from mid July of last year through the end of the year as the stake clerk.

We just had bishopric training last night and when I asked the bishops if they knew what went into an annual history, you could hear crickets. I know where some of the confusion is.

I am curious to see what the cover letter that the stake clerk provided. This could be beneficial for the units. The stake has decided to use the basic option for reporting. I'm into keeping things simple.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The link provided in one of the above posts takes you to the page where you can download both the cover sheet and the instructions. The cover sheet is for stakes and districts only. There is no cover sheet for wards or branches.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

allendreher wrote:This is my first time as stake clerk putting together the annual history. I have some information from the previous stake clerk, however, I have from mid July of last year through the end of the year as the stake clerk.

We just had bishopric training last night and when I asked the bishops if they knew what went into an annual history, you could hear crickets. I know where some of the confusion is.

I am curious to see what the cover letter that the stake clerk provided. This could be beneficial for the units. The stake has decided to use the basic option for reporting. I'm into keeping things simple.
As the ward clerk, I write up a narrative on general ward activities. Things like; deaths, marriages, births, special meetings or temple trips, average sacrament meeting attendance, leadership changes during the year in the ward, boundary changes, etc., etc. My piece is usually 1-2 pages. I include a listing (2-column format) of all the organization leaders at the end of the past year. I ask each organization to provide something from their organization. Most are 1-2 paragraphs. This year our Primary president provided the entire text of the annual primary program (this year, the youth provided their own quotes instead of memorizing ones given to them so it is a special record). If an organization chooses to not provide anything, I don't worry about it, but the bishop reviews it before I submit to the stake.

This is what our Stake Clerk requested from each unit this year:
1. Cover sheet (this is the general "stakes and districts" one)
2. A brief narrative describing the year’s important events and developments. Include faith-building stories,
3. The unit’s calendar, and
4. The Officers Sustained forms read at ward and branch conferences.

Our ward's history for 2017 currently stands at 9 pages plus the calendar and cover sheet. RS did not provide any input this year so it may grow a little - the bishop is going to "encourage" them... The stake will insert the officers sustained form so we are not sending that to them.

I have several past ward histories in my files (have been a ward or branch clerk several times - it's a glorious calling for me) and could share them on an individual basis. If you want to pm me your e-mail address, I could send an example or two from past years.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”