Annual ward history template?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Annual ward history template?

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:08 pm

kerrybird wrote:It might be time to change the policy on getting permission slips. I see a lot of photos online and in church magazines and the Church News of large groups of members and nonmembers. I doubt they have everyone sign a slip

The underlying issue is ward leaders unwittingly creating legal liability for the church. I'm sure Church News and Church magazines are handled by professionals who make sure any legal issues are dealt with. Issues that may be a little too nuanced to trust to members to understand and follow.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:24 am

kerrybird wrote:I started a stake Facebook page where members can post photos of events. I think this may help with the annual history, if I want to include some of them. I don’t know if you would still need to get permission to use photos if they are already in the public domain

To make sure there's not confusion about terminology – "public domain" is not the same as "posted online." Public domain is a legal term for works that are no longer bound by copyright; in the United States, it usually means that the work was published 95 or more years ago (1924 is the current cut-off date) and the copyright is now expired. Putting something online does not make it public domain, unless the creator of the work, who owns all rights to the work, explicitly declares that they are putting the work in public domain and waiving their natural copyright. Alternatively, the person who took the photo can give permission for their work (photo in this case) to be used for specific purposes without waiving their copyright – which is more common.

Privacy laws have to be evaluated separately from copyright laws. The creator of the work (photographer, or organization that contracted the photographer) can grant copyright permission to use the work, but they can't grant full rights to use the work because of separate privacy laws that protect living people. Privacy laws in the United States have exceptions for photos taken in public places and at public events, which gives leeway for reporters. (Note that a Church activity is not necessarily a public event, even if a lot of people were invited.)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

kerrybird

Postby kerrybird » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:59 am

I agree that including photos involves some risk. Maybe adding a reference somewhere in the annual history to the stake or ward Facebook page would allow the reader a way to access photos without including them.
After serving nine years as a stake clerk, I appreciate all of the changes that have made reporting paperless and mobile friendly. I think it would be great to submit the annual history online, similar to the way we submit stake conference reports, with the ability to review previous years. This would also make it easier for the stake presidency to read it, instead of handing him a large folder of ward histories to review and sign.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby scgallafent » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:57 pm

kerrybird wrote:I agree that including photos involves some risk. Maybe adding a reference somewhere in the annual history to the stake or ward Facebook page would allow the reader a way to access photos without including them.

The lifetime of the annual history documents is likely to be longer than the lifetime of any web sites to which they would refer. Someone going back to that history ten, twenty, or fifty years from now would be disappointed at the loss of that information.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”