New Missionary Finance Tips

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 28396
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: New Missionary Finance Tips

Postby russellhltn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:47 pm

gregwanderson wrote:
russellhltn wrote:I take that back. The on-line system does break down tithing and fast offering totals. We'll have to see what happens with ward missionary.

Well, that's new.

Agreed. That's not what I remember from the MLS-generated tax statements.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Aerick
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:19 pm
Location: United States

Re: New Missionary Finance Tips

Postby Aerick » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:27 pm

eblood66 wrote:
dianebehrens wrote:Can I access my missionaries account at home, or do I have to go to the ward clerk every time to see how his account is doing? (We have an anonymous ward member who wants to contribute to his mission, and we have family that wants to also contribute)

No, you can't view a missionary's account online. I wouldn't expect to see that ability anytime soon, if ever.


I was just approached by a father of a missionary in our ward today that indicated that he is able to view his one son's missionary account online, but his attempts to view his other son's account returns an error about contacting the administrator. I didn't think this function existed, but now am wondering.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? Maybe it's brand new?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 28396
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: New Missionary Finance Tips

Postby russellhltn » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:42 pm

Aerick wrote:I was just approached by a father of a missionary in our ward today that indicated that he is able to view his one son's missionary account online, but his attempts to view his other son's account returns an error about contacting the administrator. I didn't think this function existed, but now am wondering.

You might want to ask him to show you this on the ward computer. Then you'd know exactly what he's seeing and how he's getting it.

My guess is that he's actually seeing what he's donated to the first son's account. Because I don't think anything else finance-wise is on the web. For him to see the actual balance is to suggest that finances are on the web.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

kisaac
Community Moderators
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:04 am
Location: Utah, united states

Re: New Missionary Finance Tips

Postby kisaac » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:48 am

eblood66 wrote:
gregwanderson wrote:Either way, the receipt you use when filing taxes has no breakdown at all. It just lists the totals of charitable donations. No categories. No sub-categories.

Actually, it does have a breakdown. I just generated mine online for last year's contributions and it shows the breakdown for Tithing vs. Fast Offerings. I didn't have an Ward Missionary contributions so I can't say for certain but I expect it shows the total for Ward Missionary as well. But I'm sure it doesn't show specific missionary sub-categories.
Just an update:
Now, Looking at my 2015 "Annual Charitable Cash contributions" tax document given to me by my finance clerk, It DOES NOT have any breakdown in any categories, and I did contribute to a missionary. It just lists the date and amount total donated. Thus, the IRS would not see any donations to any missionary, specifically by name or to the "ward mission" or "general mission" fund. The actual wording of the form is the same, but it looks MUCH DIFFERENT than the 2014 Contributions statement I can print out online. However, this is the document my clerk printed, and I can't print a current 2015 online (not given that option,) so I can't check the difference. Is this a difference in the MLS print-out vs online? I can't say....
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!

scottandrewhardy
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 10:25 am

Re: New Missionary Finance Tips

Postby scottandrewhardy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:44 am

If a missionary has an overage on their account, can I transfer these funds into another missionary's account? Can the family leave the funds in the account and use for a future sibling? or do I need to transfer these funds to ward missionary account?

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 9413
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: New Missionary Finance Tips

Postby lajackson » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:03 pm

scottandrewhardy wrote:If a missionary has an overage on their account, can I transfer these funds into another missionary's account? Can the family leave the funds in the account and use for a future sibling? or do I need to transfer these funds to ward missionary account?

Work with your bishop to determine how the ward missionary funds should be used. If the missionary with the overage has returned, you should transfer those funds to the general ward missionary account so that the returned missionary sub-account will close.

After that, the bishop may decide to hold the funds for another sibling (if it will not be too long in the future). Or there may be a current need to assist another missionary who is currently serving. The bishop might also just make a note of the extra amount, and when another missionary leaves from that family, transfer that amount from the ward missionary fund, even if the ward did not actually hold the funds in the interim.

It is all part of the ward missionary fund, and the bishop administers it according to guidelines. But whatever is decided, you should zero out a returned missionary so that there will no longer be a balance there.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 28396
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: New Missionary Finance Tips

Postby russellhltn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:36 pm

Note that any excess may need to be sent to the stake. See Handbook 1: 14.4.3. If we're talking about a large amount, the stake may start asking questions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

generosanuarinprado
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Re: New Missionary Finance Tips

Postby generosanuarinprado » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:29 pm

I have a missionary that had returned and still have one in the mission. From the start of their service I was told by our ward clerk that I have to write the name of my missionary whom I want to send my financial support opposite to the missionary fund on the donation slip to make sure that it goes to the recepient that I wanted to pay and not to the general missionary fund. Doing that gives me peace of mind as I can check from my emailed officials receipts by our ward clerk all my contributions made to each of my missionary children.
When they are done and I still want to make missionary contribution I'll just write it down on the missionary fund with no specific name. In that way it serves to anyone in need in the world.
This is what I did here in Australia but I am not sure if it applies globally.
You can ask your ward clerk for more clarification.
Gene

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 28396
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: New Missionary Finance Tips

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:16 pm

generosanuarinprado wrote:From the start of their service I was told by our ward clerk that I have to write the name of my missionary whom I want to send my financial support opposite to the missionary fund on the donation slip to make sure that it goes to the recepient that I wanted to pay and not to the general missionary fund.

I'm not sure how it's done in Australia, but in the US, there is a "General Missionary" fund and a "Ward Missionary" fund - two different lines on the donation slip. Yes, it would be wise to write the name of the missionary to make sure the clerk puts it into the right sub-account. Especially if you've got a new clerk who may not be familiar with the family situation and what missionary you are supporting.

If a donation is made to the Ward Misionary fund but not credited to any speicific missionary, it will be used in the ward. Any excess would flow to the stake for use by other wards. Any excess from the stake would then go to the General Missonary fund.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

davesudweeks
Senior Member
Posts: 1785
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: New Missionary Finance Tips

Postby davesudweeks » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:42 pm

russellhltn wrote:
generosanuarinprado wrote:From the start of their service I was told by our ward clerk that I have to write the name of my missionary whom I want to send my financial support opposite to the missionary fund on the donation slip to make sure that it goes to the recepient that I wanted to pay and not to the general missionary fund.

I'm not sure how it's done in Australia, but in the US, there is a "General Missionary" fund and a "Ward Missionary" fund - two different lines on the donation slip. Yes, it would be wise to write the name of the missionary to make sure the clerk puts it into the right sub-account. Especially if you've got a new clerk who may not be familiar with the family situation and what missionary you are supporting.

If a donation is made to the Ward Misionary fund but not credited to any speicific missionary, it will be used in the ward. Any excess would flow to the stake for use by other wards. Any excess from the stake would then go to the General Missonary fund.


And any donations to the "General Missionary" fund are swept out for use by the church in worldwide missionary efforts. The ward/branch does not have access to the General Missionary fund. I have seen some members misunderstand the two funds and their application.


Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest