FIle ORganization

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
aaron.grames

FIle ORganization

Post by aaron.grames »

How do you all organize the Clerk's office? Specifically the file cabinet that holds the expense and tithing paperwork. I am a new clerk and as i am beginning my service, it is amazing how all the different clerks have organized our files. Is there a specific way the church wants things organized? Our file cabinet needs a lot of help!

Thanks in advance!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: FIle ORganization

Post by russellhltn »

Keep it simple. For donations, I'd just put everything for the week into a envelope, put the date on it, and file it that way.

For expenses, staple everything to the check request and file by check number.

Any membership stuff was filed chronologically. Takes longer to find, but really quick to file. Odds are you won't need to look things up too often.

Check the retention period for your country. For the US, it's 3 years plus current. So, you can shred anything before 2017.

Do keep a lookout for priesthood ordinations. There's a time when the church failed to record the "ordained by" information.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Each time I have been called as clerk, I began to organize the clerk's office with a shovel and a shredder. I have killed at least one shredder because the previous clerk is always a pack rat.

File your finances in a way that will make your audit go quickly and smoothly. When you have completed your first audit, you will know how to organize your papers for the next audit.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I think a statement in this Help Center article is interesting.
After recording the expenses and reimbursements and uploading receipts and forms into LCR, expense documents may be destroyed.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... se-records

However, I always like to have the paper originals available in case the auditor asks to see them because the scanned image is unreadable.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”