"Officers Sustained" form for Wards/Branches

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
greggo
Member
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Paw Paw, MI, USA

Postby greggo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:26 am

In my previous residence outside the US, I was serving as the stake clerk. During one stake conference that was presided over by the area authority, he reviewed the sustaining list that I prepared and had me redo it to make sure that we used complete familiar names (i.e. Rodney instead of Rod), initials for those with more than one given name and the appropriate suffix, if applicable (this was just prior to implementation of MLS, and traditionally we only included first and last names).

I don't remember in this particular instance, but this general authority often quoted the brethren and particulary Pres. Packer on the correct "unwritten order of things." So, I'm sure this is the appropriate direction.

aprayzr
New Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Pueblo, CO USA

Bilingual Sustaining Form?

Postby aprayzr » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:59 am

We have a Spanish Speaking Branch in our stake. Most of the members of that ward are bilingual, but a few are Spanish speaking only. Reading of the Ward Sustaining List causes problems every year. One of the members translates the English form while it is also being read in English. There is always a little confusion and a few translation errors.

If one form could be printed in English and another in Spanish, this would greatly simplify the process and cut down on errors.

Short of installing MLS in Spanish on a second computer (!) or a different directory, does anyone know how this can be accomplished?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15123
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:39 am

aprayzr wrote:We have a Spanish Speaking Branch in our stake. Most of the members of that ward are bilingual, but a few are Spanish speaking only. Reading of the Ward Sustaining List causes problems every year. One of the members translates the English form while it is also being read in English. There is always a little confusion and a few translation errors.

If one form could be printed in English and another in Spanish, this would greatly simplify the process and cut down on errors.

Short of installing MLS in Spanish on a second computer (!) or a different directory, does anyone know how this can be accomplished?


You can run your existing MLS in a different language -- you don't need to install it in a different directory or computer (and that would create potential problems anyway).

The technique is described in this post.

aprayzr
New Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Pueblo, CO USA

Postby aprayzr » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:55 am

Thanks for the help!

jbh001
Community Moderators
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Postby jbh001 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:56 am

aprayzr wrote:Short of installing MLS in Spanish on a second computer (!) or a different directory, does anyone know how this can be accomplished?
From the MLS menu bar, navigate to Lists > Forms/Certificates > Print Form > set Language: to Spanish > select Sostenimiento de oficiales--Barrio de Estaca > click OK. You can probably figure out the rest from there.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15123
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:18 pm

jbh001 wrote:From the MLS menu bar, navigate to Lists > Forms/Certificates > Print Form > set Language: to Spanish > select Sostenimiento de oficiales--Barrio de Estaca > click OK. You can probably figure out the rest from there.


I guess I didn't notice when MLS added the language capability to the Print Forms screen. It wasn't there when the Print Forms screen was first added to MLS. But that's definitely the best way to do it -- much easier than changing the base language of MLS.

One little difference I noticed from the steps you gave -- when I change the language to Spanish, the names of the forms are still in English (the base language of my MLS installation). So I would choose Spanish, then select "Officers Sustained--Ward".

jbh001
Community Moderators
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Postby jbh001 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:50 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:One little difference I noticed from the steps you gave -- when I change the language to Spanish, the names of the forms are still in English (the base language of my MLS installation). So I would choose Spanish, then select "Officers Sustained--Ward".
Curious. When I do this using MLS 2.9.3, after I select Spanish, there is a slight pause, and then the list of forms repopulates in Spanish.

Odd that there is a difference in behavior. I wonder if this could be a difference between a patched update to MLS versus a clean install. I almost always try and to a clean install if can can before the patch gets pushed down from CHQ. Then again maybe that has nothing to do with the difference in behavior.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15123
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:01 pm

jbh001 wrote:Curious. When I do this using MLS 2.9.3, after I select Spanish, there is a slight pause, and then the list of forms repopulates in Spanish.

Odd that there is a difference in behavior. I wonder if this could be a difference between a patched update to MLS versus a clean install. I almost always try and to a clean install if can can before the patch gets pushed down from CHQ. Then again maybe that has nothing to do with the difference in behavior.


I did a clean install, so that doesn't account for any difference. And I am also using MLS 2.9.3, by the way. The difference is not a big deal, but it does pique one's curiosity.

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3966
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Postby Mikerowaved » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:11 pm

I think we've stumbled on a programming bug that is fairly evident in the table below.
A "√" indicates the menu selection is in the native language and "Eng" indicates English.

Code: Select all

Language            Certificate         Form
========            ===========         ====
Chinese                  Eng             √
Danish                   Eng             √
Dutch                    Eng             √
English                  Eng            Eng
Finnish                  Eng             √
French                    √             Eng
German                   Eng             √
Indonesian               Eng             √
Italian                  Eng             √
Japanese                 Eng             √
Korean                    √             Eng
Norwegian                Eng             √
Portuguese               Eng             √
Samoan                   Eng             √
Spanish                   √             Eng
Swedish                  Eng             √
Thai                     Eng             √
Tonga                     √             Eng
See a pattern? ;)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 9633
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:42 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:-- when I change the language to Spanish, the names of the forms are still in English (the base language of my MLS installation). So I would choose Spanish, then select "Officers Sustained--Ward".


I have always had the same experience as jbh001. Once I select the Spanish language, the list of forms changes to Spanish. It is that way on all of the computers in our stake, which are running MLS 2.9.3.


Return to “Reports and Forms”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest