Debate: Controls for Other Account Creation ?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
atticusewig

Debate: Controls for Other Account Creation ?

Post by atticusewig »

When MLS first removed the ability of Ward Clerks to create subaccounts
under Ward Missionary and gave it the Missionary Department, I thought
it would be a problem, but now can see the wisdom in the decision.

Recently, as I have visited clerks in my Stake, I've seen Other accounts called
"Other: Budget" or "Other:Other". When questioned on the purpose of the
collected funds, a ward clerk would say they created the account because
that was what was written on the Tithing slip.
Yes, training is needed. Yes, anything discussed here won't affect the
people who make such decisions, but for debate's sake what are your
thoughts on a system in which:

- Wards couldn't create Other accounts. They could only be created by the
Stake for the ward.

What advantages and disadvantages do you forsee with such a system ?

I think the extra work required by the stake clerks might be worth it, but
would like to hear other people's thoughts on this.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Debate: Controls for Other Account Creation ?

Post by aebrown »

atticusewig wrote:...what are your thoughts on a system in which:

- Wards couldn't create Other accounts. They could only be created by the Stake for the ward.
As a stake clerk, I don't like the idea. In our stake, we certainly have our share of problems with inappropriate Other subcategories being created by the wards. But we get a complete list of those twice a year on the audit forms. This creates an opportunity for training and follow-up.

In my opinion, training is the best way to fix this problem. Adding an approval process as you suggest would make it so that when a ward receives a donation/payment that belongs in a new subcategory of Other, they wouldn't be able to properly process that donation until the stake gave its approval. That would create more delays and hassles than necessary.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

atticusewig wrote:........... what are your thoughts on a system in which:

- Wards couldn't create Other accounts. They could only be created by the
Stake for the ward.
I think it's a terrible idea and would tie the hands of Bishops and Clerks. I also feel that it is out of the scope of the Stake Clerks stewardship which is to take care of Stake Administrative Business and train ward clerks in their duties.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

Thanks for your feedback.
Guess I was just frustrated with clerks in my stake,
and wanted a little more control over their ability
to improperly use "Other" accounts. My attempts at
training the clerks haven't worked, but that is no
reason for more stringent controls.
Both of you are right, the idea is terrible.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Given the track record, you might want to more closely supervise the finances and catch the problems sooner.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

atticusewig wrote:My attempts at training the clerks haven't worked,
Perhaps it is time to enlist the help of the stake presidency (audit committee chairman?) in the training process. He can have some influence on both bishoprics and clerks (within the limits of agency, of course).
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

I've been able to keep the Other accounts under control just by sending out a reminder every December and June about clearing out these funds prior to the end of the audit period. I let the clerks know if they need help determining where funds should go, I'm available. It's a lot eaiser to fix these issues prior to finding them on an audit.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

daveywest wrote:I've been able to keep the Other accounts under control just by sending out a reminder every December and June about clearing out these funds prior to the end of the audit period.
Assuming the purpose of that fund has been fulfilled.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

The previous stake auditor was very adamant that the life of an Other account was measured in weeks. While I don't necessarily agree with his strict definition of "temporary," I have benefited from very few lingering subcategories in the Other account stake wide. We typically allow the units to keep ongoing fundraising accounts for young men & young women, but otherwise discourage their use. Reminding units to work within the budget helps.

I've suggested a good guideline is the Other account should be closed and funds properly disposed if it has not had any deposits or expenses in the prior six months. I don't always get my way, but problems are few are far between.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

daveywest wrote:The previous stake auditor was very adamant that the life of an Other account was measured in weeks. While I don't necessarily agree with his strict definition of "temporary," I have benefited from very few lingering subcategories in the Other account stake wide.
Except the guidelines are not accounts closed, but funds are used within a reasonable amount of time.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”