Page 2 of 2

Re: Other Accounts used for Scout Fund Raising funds

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:48 pm
by lorajeane
As a member and mother of three boys, I have encouraged my boys into scouting for the education, adventure, fun and experience they would get out of it. Instead, scouts has been a drag to my boys. There is no adventure, no great outdoor experiences and learning (in a church classroom) is so mindless they get nothing out of it (They are bored!). I've been sorely disappointed as I've watched the struggle of our scout master to gather together any/all the necessary equipment for scout camps and the frustration of not being able to have it organized and ready to go quickly. I wonder if this is one of the reasons that our scouts' camp-outs are minimal. The other being that the church has made it near impossible for many other adventures by their limited funding but more so because of their UN-willingness to allow outside fundraising/donations to the unit for more/better equipment or more activities. In my opinion, I feel they should have more opportunities to get out, camping and learning. Is that not the point of scouting?

I've seen other scout troops (LDS) with a camp trailer equipped and ready to go at any given time, loaded with all the necessary equipment exclusively for the use of the scout unit and I don't know how they've done so with the current "church ward" policies. I would like to help our unit to get a similar camp trailer/outfit for their excursions but church funding is out of the question AND apparently individual fundraising/donations are also.

I've seen a lot of talk about fundraising for your scout UNIT (which allows next to nothing), and financial donations to the unit (which is hardly allowed also) but I'm curious about ITEM/EQUIPMENT donations made to the unit. What is the policy on that? And if I, as an individual, can not officially make an equipment donation(s), what is the policy on "loaning" equipment for the units use?

Thank you in advance for useful information. I would like to see my boys and the rest of our scouts in the unit find the adventure and love of scouting again.

Re: Other Accounts used for Scout Fund Raising funds

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:31 pm
by aebrown
lorajeane wrote:The other being that the church has made it near impossible for many other adventures by their limited funding but more so because of their UN-willingness to allow outside fundraising/donations to the unit for more/better equipment or more activities.

Fundraising activities are described in Handbook 2, Section 13.6.8. Fundraising is indeed permitted, when it follows the guidelines and is authorized by the local priesthood leaders. So it is not accurate to say that the Church is unwilling to allow fundraising.

Note that the funds that are raised may only be used for the one annual camp and for equipment needed for that camp.

lorajeane wrote:I've seen other scout troops (LDS) with a camp trailer equipped and ready to go at any given time, loaded with all the necessary equipment exclusively for the use of the scout unit and I don't know how they've done so with the current "church ward" policies. I would like to help our unit to get a similar camp trailer/outfit for their excursions but church funding is out of the question AND apparently individual fundraising/donations are also.

As I mentioned above, it is allowed to raise funds to purchase equipment (given that all the other relevant policies are followed). Donations are not allowed, but fundraising is.

lorajeane wrote:I've seen a lot of talk about fundraising for your scout UNIT (which allows next to nothing), and financial donations to the unit (which is hardly allowed also) but I'm curious about ITEM/EQUIPMENT donations made to the unit. What is the policy on that?

Donations are not allowed, whether financial or in-kind.

lorajeane wrote:And if I, as an individual, can not officially make an equipment donation(s), what is the policy on "loaning" equipment for the units use?

There is no policy against loaning equipment. To some extent, that happens all the time -- the scoutmaster personally owns a Dutch Oven, and lets the troop use it for camping; the vehicles used to transport scouts to camp are "lent" to the troop for that purpose; etc. Of course, the ability to lend equipment shouldn't be used to skirt the policy against donations, but with the approval of appropriate leaders, it can be done.