Fast offerings from full-time missionaries

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Postby Mikerowaved » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:30 pm

Greggo wrote:When it comes time to print out tax statements for the missionaries who donated to FO, I would not bother trying to track them down.

Did I miss something? What's so difficult about getting their home address entered into the donor database and mailing their donation statement to them at the end of the year?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:36 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:It is conceivable (although admittedly unlikely) that a missionary would actually want a tax-valid statement at the end of the year.

Here's a scenario: The missionary has some investments that earns taxable income during the year. Not common, but not twilight zone either. Given that he's a missionary, I'm not sure as he'd be able to declare himself as a dependent. So he'd need all the deductions he can get.

So while it looks good, I think it has the potential to turn around and bite a clerk or his successor in the rear.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:49 pm

Mikerowaved wrote:Did I miss something? What's so difficult about getting their home address entered into the donor database and mailing their donation statement to them at the end of the year?

It shouldn't be difficult. Especially since any missionary who wants a tax-valid statement would most likely take extra care to enter a correct home address on any donation slip.

RussellHltn wrote:Here's a scenario: The missionary has some investments that earns taxable income during the year. Not common, but not twilight zone either. Given that he's a missionary, I'm not sure as he'd be able to declare himself as a dependent. So he'd need all the deductions he can get.

That's one example of why I said it was conceivable that a missionary would need the tax-valid statement. We've had at least one missionary serve from our stake who was in his upper 20s and well established with his own business. He might well have needed deductions.

The bottom line is that the policies are in place for good reasons. Following them helps clerks to serve the donors better and avoid any audit problems.

gregneg

address?

Postby gregneg » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:02 pm

Mikerowaved wrote:Did I miss something? What's so difficult about getting their home address entered into the donor database and mailing their donation statement to them at the end of the year?

Many missionaries do not have a stable home address ---- how many fast offerings have you seen that even have an address filled out?

I bundled up the no-address missionary receipts and sent them to the Mission Office. They at least have a built-in system to keep contact (and home) info current.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Postby Mikerowaved » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:32 pm

elderj1 wrote:Many missionaries do not have a stable home address ---- how many fast offerings have you seen that even have an address filled out?

I was suggesting giving them a quick call or something if their home info was not filled out, so the donor database would have it at the end of the year. It's true that parents sometimes move, but if the Post Office can't forward it, I'll just get it back and store it.

elderj1 wrote:I bundled up the no-address missionary receipts and sent them to the Mission Office. They at least have a built-in system to keep contact (and home) info current.

Hadn't thought of that. Good suggestion.

nutterb

Postby nutterb » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:36 am

If you're worried about the build up of multiple 'Elder X' donor entries in the system, you can always hide the donor. In the Finance menu, click on "Add/Update Donors", find the missionaries, and mark them as "Hidden." Their tax valid information will print out as usual, you just won't see them in the active donor list when you enter donations.

marianomarini

Postby marianomarini » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:59 pm

jbh001 wrote:To prevent the build-up of too many donors named Elder Smith, Elder Johnson, Elder Smoot, etc., I finally created a donor named "Full-Time Missionaries" to funnel these donations to.

Here in Italy we use just one donor (MISSIONARI) for all missionaries.
Because in Italy there's no way to detract benefical donations to the Church, we have no problems.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

MorettiDP

Postby MorettiDP » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:04 pm

That's the same to Brazil. We use only "Missionários" or "Élderes" to missionary donations, to don't create 5 years records to each missionary that donate funds to our wards...

Return to “Local Unit Finance”