How should escheatments be handled?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ntognetti

How should escheatments be handled?

Post by ntognetti »

Hello!

I have a unit that issued 2 rent checks last May that have now gone to escheatment. How should the unit handle them?

Should they:

1) Void the original check and issue new ones? This doesn't seem proper as the church has probably turned those funds over to the state, correct?

2) Contact the landlord and advise that they have 2 outstanding undeposited checks and advise them that they need to contact the state to get that money?

3) Something else?

I've never seen any church checks actually make it all the way to escheatment so I don't know what the process is...

Thanks!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: How should escheatments be handled?

Post by jdlessley »

The escheatment process is found in the Help Center article Outstanding Checks and Escheatment.

If we back up a few months before the check is escheated we note we have ample opportunity to prevent checks from escheating. The most important document we have to help us prevent checks from escheating is the monthly unit financial statement. The section on page two lists outstanding checks and the issue date. If the unit finacial statement is reviewed we can take action as described in the Help Center article.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

This appears to be a failure of the clerk(s), the bishop, and possibly the auditor for not noticing these checks on the unit financial statement. All too often, the bishop or stake president will sign the financial statement without reviewing it. Just yesterday, my bishop signed our financial statement, and told me how much he trusted me to keep him out of trouble. I reminded him that his signature signifies that he has reviewed the entire statement -- and our auditor is coming this Wednesday.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jfowler32680

Post by jfowler32680 »

A check is escheated. I continue to receive notes on this. I have contacted the payee on how to get reimbursed from the state. How do I tell headquarters to discontinue the notes?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

We had a brother who brought in an old check right after I was called as clerk a few years ago. I contacted the Global Service Center and they guided me through the process they wanted me to follow. They had me send in some specific documentation and they issued a replacement check direct to the member. I hounded him to make sure he cashed that one promptly...

I would suggest you contact the Global Service Center during the week and explain your situation. They will help you.
jboyce50

Post by jboyce50 »

All escheated checks need to be cancelled through the Church Finance Dept (855-537-4357). This is a manual procedure accomplished through Church Finance. The Ward Finance Clerk and Bishop have had ample time to verify with the Payee (180-days) prior to escheatment, to verify and correct situation by voiding check, re-issuing, etc.
Jim Boyce

Return to “Local Unit Finance”