Mirroring MLS and LCR

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
davidpeters

Mirroring MLS and LCR

Post by davidpeters »

During the transition of expenses from MLS to LCR it appears that expenses entered in on system are mirrored in the other system. Does anyone know how long these systems will be mirrored before we are asked to completely transition to doing all our expenses in LCR?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Mirroring MLS and LCR

Post by russellhltn »

Hard telling. We rarely get any time lines. And when a time line does leak, it's frequently inaccurate.

But first, LCR is going to need some added functions. I understand that budget is not yet in there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:But first, LCR is going to need some added functions. I understand that budget is not yet in there.
Yes, until the budget functionality is moved to LCR, the expenses will have to be available in MLS. But it is possible that they will eliminate the ability to enter expenses in MLS before that point. But, as you said, we have no idea if that will happen first or when it might happen.
t0008sa

Post by t0008sa »

Can we please get Budget moved????

We can now do every common task online except that.

In fact, I'm at work right now and we did some account transfers online yesterday, but now I'm going to have to go to the building and get on MLS to get the Budget report and ensure everything looks correct.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Nobody in the forums has any control over the development priorities. We're mostly just users like yourself. And the few developers who occasionally stop by don't set the priorities.

You can submit feedback using the Feedback link in LCR but I'm sure it's already on their roadmap. Really there are only two things left in MLS that aren't available in LCR: budget and category management and donation processing. My personal guess is that budgets will be next but really we'll just have to wait and see.

Note, however, that LCR does already have an income/expense report. Since budgets generally don't change much, if you keep a printout of the budget allocations you can just get the income/expense report for a category from LCR and then manually subtract the total from the budget amount to get the remaining budget. Not as convenient as have the budget report directly available but not difficult.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

t0008sa wrote:Can we please get Budget moved????
Who are you asking? Users on this forum have no control over that.
t0008sa wrote:We can now do every common task online except that.
Well, we can't do several financial processes online: Budget, Other:AMFA, Donations, etc.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
t0008sa

Post by t0008sa »

drepouille wrote:
t0008sa wrote:Can we please get Budget moved????
Who are you asking? Users on this forum have no control over that.
t0008sa wrote:We can now do every common task online except that.
Well, we can't do several financial processes online: Budget, Other:AMFA, Donations, etc.
We can now get Budget and AMFA reporting.

I don't expect that Donations will ever be able to be done outside the clerks' office.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

t0008sa wrote:I don't expect that Donations will ever be able to be done outside the clerks' office.
I'm not a programmer, but wonder if the clerk computer's MAC address could be used to ensure that donations were being made from the clerk's office and not from a different device somewhere else. Of course, that would introduce some complexity when computers are changed out. It might be easier to just keep MLS as a "donation-entry only" program.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

davesudweeks wrote:
t0008sa wrote:I don't expect that Donations will ever be able to be done outside the clerks' office.
I'm not a programmer, but wonder if the clerk computer's MAC address could be used to ensure that donations were being made from the clerk's office and not from a different device somewhere else. Of course, that would introduce some complexity when computers are changed out. It might be easier to just keep MLS as a "donation-entry only" program.
Printing checks is also only allowed on clerk computers but that has been moved to LCR. So I think the donations will be moved as well but policy will still required doing it on a clerk computer. If they want to, there are ways of enforcing the connections only come from certain computers by using protected client certificates. But I don't know if they will go to those lengths.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:If they want to, there are ways of enforcing the connections only come from certain computers by using protected client certificates. But I don't know if they will go to those lengths.
I'd think the simplest way is to make sure it's comes over the church's network.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”