Change name on reimbursement

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
beStapley

Change name on reimbursement

Postby beStapley » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:34 am

Posted a reimbursement in the new electronic expense reimbursement. Found out after it was put in and reviewed by one of the bishopric, that the payee was wrong name. What is procedure for correcting this.

chriswoodut

Re: Change name on reimbursement

Postby chriswoodut » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:22 pm

Is it an ACH reimbursement or is it waiting for you to print a check? Has the bishop already acknowledged it in LCR? I would see if you can void it in LCR or the bishop can. If you have to print the check, then the urgency is gone compared to an ACH that may go out quickly.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:37 pm

beStapley wrote:Posted a reimbursement in the new electronic expense reimbursement. Found out after it was put in and reviewed by one of the bishopric, that the payee was wrong name. What is procedure for correcting this.

I am assuming the reimbursement is an EFT. I don't see a way to cancel or reject the transaction through the system after the second approval unless the bishop has a way to reject the transaction in the Bishop Approval tab. If he can reject the reimbursement then you should be able to either edit the reimbursement to correct the payee name or cancel/delete the reimbursement to start over. If he cannot reject the reimbursement then you will need to contact the GSC to have it cancelled before the EFT has been sent to the payee's bank. Once the payee's bank has the transfer your only option is to ask the payee to return the funds.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:39 pm

I asked my bishop to check on whether he could reject a reimbursement after the two approvals in the Bishop Review tab. He said he could only adjust the expense for an EFT and a check as well as void a check. So it is looking like contacting the GSC is the next best step in getting the reimbursement payee changed.
JD Lessley

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby scgallafent » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:50 am

beStapley wrote:Posted a reimbursement in the new electronic expense reimbursement. Found out after it was put in and reviewed by one of the bishopric, that the payee was wrong name. What is procedure for correcting this.

The most straightforward at this approach at this point is probably to have the member return the incorrect reimbursement to the Church and then create a new payment for the correct payee. That provides the cleanest documentation (money went out and there is a documented return of the funds).

If the payment was made out of a budget category, this is one of the few situations where you are allowed to record a donation that goes into a budget category, since the money is being put back where it came from.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:50 pm

scgallafent wrote:If the payment was made out of a budget category, this is one of the few situations where you are allowed to record a donation that goes into a budget category, since the money is being put back where it came from.

This brings up the issue of how the donation slip and therefore the donor name needs to be addressed. While a specific individual is returning funds debited against a budget category, their name should not be entered as the donor. If their name is entered as the donor then that individual will see the returned funds on their annual tax valid statement as a deductible contribution. To avoid this issue I have entered a return of budget funds with the ward name as the donor rather than the individual's name as the donor. I put a comment in the blank area under the Other category with the individual's name and the reference number or check number for the disbursement returned.
JD Lessley

eblood66

Postby eblood66 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:59 pm

jdlessley wrote:If their name is entered as the donor then that individual will see the returned funds on their annual tax valid statement as a deductible contribution.

Donations to budget do not show up as charitable donations. It will show up on the donor statement but not on the tax statement. So it isn't so much a problem who is listed as the donor.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:01 pm

eblood66 wrote:
jdlessley wrote:If their name is entered as the donor then that individual will see the returned funds on their annual tax valid statement as a deductible contribution.

Donations to budget do not show up as charitable donations. It will show up on the donor statement but not on the tax statement. So it isn't so much a problem who is listed as the donor.

I'm happy to see they rectified the issue. I ran into the problem six years ago when I was in another ward.
JD Lessley

Return to “Local Unit Finance”