How to cancel an approved expense?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
landbeck

How to cancel an approved expense?

Post by landbeck »

We had receipts emailed to the whole Bishopric, which is the 3 members of the Bishopric, please 2 clerks.

And in an effort to be responsive, we overperformed.

Two different expense/reimbursements were executed at the same time, and the notice that they were pending went to the remainder of the Bishopric, and two other brothers approved the separately.

So now we have two identical expenses approved, and one needs to be cancelled. With absolutely no obvious methodology to do so.

Where are the instructions for that scenario?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: How to cancel an approved expense?

Post by scgallafent »

If they are electronic reimbursements, they have probably already been paid. In that case, the member needs to reimburse the unit and the money deposited back into the account it came from.
redman_no1

Post by redman_no1 »

We have this exact same situation, but we know both expenses have been paid. How does one record a reimbursement to the ward so it is properly allocated back to the ward? I read elsewhere on the forum that the member should write "budget return" on the slip. If they do that, what do I do in MLS for recording the donation. Do code the full amount for the budget that the expense originally came from? Including the sales tax portion?

For example. if the expense was $1000 from "Activities", the sales tax would have been about $60. so the member received a payment of $1060, but the "Activities" category was only charged $1000. So when I process this budget return, do I enter it as $1060 for "Activities". Seems like I should enter it as $1,000 for "Activities" and $60 for "Sales Tax" but I don't see an option in MLS to code any part of a donation for "Sales Tax"

Hopefully that makes sense.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I assume that you're in Utah or one of the other couple states where you allocate sales tax to a special category because the church gets a direct reimbursement from the state. I'm not in one of the states anymore so I'm not sure this would work but I'd go back to the original expense and see if you can recategorize the sales tax amount so that it comes out of budget instead. Then deposit the entire return into the budget category. If that works then everything should balance out and the church won't get a sales tax refund it shouldn't get. If that doesn't work then I think you need to contact the global service center for directions on how to handle it.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”