Billed for a fast offering expense for someone no longer in my ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
MetaRyan

Billed for a fast offering expense for someone no longer in my ward

Post by MetaRyan »

An expense recently showed up in LCR>Finance>Bishop's Review. It's labeled as "Medical - Fast Offerings" and was sent from the LDS Family Services Billing Office. The recipient is someone who used to be in our YSA ward (and received fast offering assistance to use Family Services); she got married several months ago and her records were moved out of my ward to her new ward.
When I click the reference number and try to remove the expense, an error pops up saying I have to match the expense amount.
The expense shows up as "Recorded" in the Expense Summary, so it looks like we've already been charged without anyone in the Bishopric's approval. In Bishop's Review, the Bishop can't even decline the expense; the only options are to accept the expense or leave the expense sitting in review.

How do I remove this bill? The expense doesn't specify which Family Services location sent the bill, but I have a pretty good idea which one it was; should I call/email them and have them take our ward off the bill? Is there a Church entity I should call/email for support issues like this? (When I click "contact us" in the Finance>Help menu, it takes me to a screen that says "Successfully logged out", but I guess that's an issue for another forum post.)
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Billed for a fast offering expense for someone no longer in my ward

Post by rmrichesjr »

Calling or emailing the suspected Family Services location might yield some answers and maybe a solution. Your stake clerk might know of solutions. I'm a ward membership clerk, and when I click on Help -> Contact Us, I get a form to file a new support ticket with the Global Service Center. The form also has phone numbers and an email address. I won't post them here, because this forum is publicly visible. The phone numbers and email address should be available in some of your literature. Searching for Global Service Center on the Church website's home page should find the phone numbers for you.
drepouille

Re: Billed for a fast offering expense for someone no longer in my ward

Post by drepouille »

MetaRyan wrote:The expense shows up as "Recorded" in the Expense Summary, so it looks like we've already been charged without anyone in the Bishopric's approval. In Bishop's Review, the Bishop can't even decline the expense; the only options are to accept the expense or leave the expense sitting in review.
I agree that a call to the GSC is in order. However, all your bishop needs to do is to review and accept the expense. All Fast Offering expenses are reimbursed to your unit automatically, so I wouldn't worry about losing any money. You may also want to review this with your stake clerk as well as your stake audit committee members. It will make a good case study for your stake auditors.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Local Unit Finance”