Expense Report Passé?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
HansG

Expense Report Passé?

Post by HansG »

So. . .we still (usually) use MLS for entering expenses and printing checks. The exception would be when we need to split one expense across different budget categories--LCR allows that, MLS from what I can tell does not. Anyway. . .after printing a single or batch of checks in MLS, MLS spits out an "Expense report" that the MLS user initials, then there are signature lines for the bishop and the clerk. LCR does not generate this report. The auditors do not ask/look for this report. Can we just not print/sign/file it? It is yet another paper to bog up the bishop's inbox, and documentation of his expense approvals already exists elsewhere.

Thank you.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Expense Report Passé?

Post by lajackson »

hansg wrote:MLS spits out an "Expense report" that the MLS user initials, then there are signature lines for the bishop and the clerk. LCR does not generate this report. The auditors do not ask/look for this report. Can we just not print/sign/file it?
The key is that the bishop has approved the expense. In the past, the MLS-generated report was the easiest way to do this, but it was never required, as long as there was a record of bishop approval somewhere else in the paperwork.

And now, of course, the bishop is able to approve expenses online.
chriswoodut

Re: Expense Report Passé?

Post by chriswoodut »

hansg wrote:So. . .we still (usually) use MLS for entering expenses and printing checks. The exception would be when we need to split one expense across different budget categories--LCR allows that, MLS from what I can tell does not. Anyway. . .after printing a single or batch of checks in MLS, MLS spits out an "Expense report" that the MLS user initials, then there are signature lines for the bishop and the clerk. LCR does not generate this report. The auditors do not ask/look for this report. Can we just not print/sign/file it? It is yet another paper to bog up the bishop's inbox, and documentation of his expense approvals already exists elsewhere.
Even if it's not forbidden, I wouldn't want to create a system separate from MLS's typical system because the auditor coming in is used to seeing everyone doing it the same way.

The best way to get out of that report and other paper is to use LCR for all expenses. This frees up your filing cabinet and has the added bonus of cutting your audit time in half as the auditor can check the expenses remotely before he ever walks in your office. LCR expenses with ACH/EFT has cut our reimbursement turnaround time from a 1-2 weeks to a couple of days. I don't have to chase people with uncashed checks either. This has been the single most exciting software update to me in the past 10 years. (Have I sold you on it yet?) Even with a paper check via LCR it is still faster and no filing or reports.

(Our procedure can be found here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... sp=sharing )

Return to “Local Unit Finance”