Expense Approval Limits?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rlangdorf

Expense Approval Limits?

Post by rlangdorf »

New issue we came across this week...

Submitted an expense with attached receipt in the amount of $1300 for a stake budget expense and the stake president cannot approve it due to a "This expense exceeds the verification limit." warning. Has some new limit been implemented that requires both approvers to verify together (like for an expense with only paper receipts)? We'll get together and try it later this week, but I didn't expect this obstacle.
BrettMiller

Re: Expense Approval Limits?

Post by BrettMiller »

I just got the same thing on a $1500 reimbursement. Is there a Stake approval process for large amounts?
edit: Oh, I see you are saying the Stake doesn't have a way to approve it. I need to get this ward member his money back.

Can someone help here?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Cut two separate checks?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Some of these warnings are just that (warnings). If he clicks through the warning, does it let him approve the expense? It may just be something cautionary to ensure the expense has been properly vetted and is correct.

Splitting an expense into 2 checks to avoid following church policy seems incorrect to me. I believe our stake has incurred larger expenses than $1500 for past stake YW camp fees, but I have not served as a stake clerk so am unsure of the proper protocol for large expenses like.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

davesudweeks wrote:Splitting an expense into 2 checks to avoid following church policy seems incorrect to me.
I think the questions are, what is the expense limit and how do you reimburse someone for an expense over that limit?
rlangdorf wrote:...the stake president cannot approve it due to a "This expense exceeds the verification limit." warning.
I hope that Dave's suggestion of clicking through the warning works because a stake president should be able to approve an expense for any amount.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rlangdorf

Post by rlangdorf »

So, I failed to mention that I am the stake clerk...

Anyway, the Stake President was unable to click through the warning. However, when we were together for a meeting, we were able to approve it together as I suspected. Has there been some limit imposed? How do we find out about these changes to the finance system before they go into effect? It seems a new surprise awaits every few weeks...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd check the help file. That's usually where things like that get documented. There are some sections I can't see since I'm not a finance clerk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

rlangdorf wrote:So, I failed to mention that I am the stake clerk...

Anyway, the Stake President was unable to click through the warning. However, when we were together for a meeting, we were able to approve it together as I suspected. Has there been some limit imposed? How do we find out about these changes to the finance system before they go into effect? It seems a new surprise awaits every few weeks...
How was this different than the normal approval process? Were you using paper receipts or electronic receipts? was this a paper check you were printing or an EFT? I'm curious under what scenarios this shows up.
BrettMiller

Post by BrettMiller »

Just to follow up on my earlier issue, the bishop was able to click through the warnings and approve it. He told me that he had assumed there was some violation and had not proceeded to try to approve it the first time.
carlgard

Post by carlgard »

We are also seemingly unable to approve an $2000 expense (for youth conference), and we're seeing the same "This expense exceeds the verification limit" message. Our Bishop tried but was not able to click through the warnings. (I'm a Bishopric counselor.)

Return to “Local Unit Finance”