Reimbursment overpayment

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eblood66

Re: Reimbursment overpayment

Postby eblood66 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:52 pm

wallaced wrote:(probably give the Stake Clerk a heart attack if he saw that pop up)

Only if he's a new stake clerk. This isn't uncommon and writing 'Budget' in the 'Other' box is the standard practice. I've never had an auditor bat an eye as long as it's obviously a refund, return of overpayment or return of excess of an advance. In fact, the instructions on how to handle advances used to explicitly indicate that the excess should be returned in this way. I don't have access to that part of the help center any more so I can't point to anything specific now but I think it still gives the same instructions.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:08 pm

eblood66 wrote:In fact, the instructions on how to handle advances used to explicitly indicate that the excess should be returned in this way. I don't have access to that part of the help center any more so I can't point to anything specific now but I think it still gives the same instructions.

I can't find anything about advances. All I could find is Donation Categories. The last item is of interest.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

drepouille

Postby drepouille » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:14 pm

Yes, that is the item I previously quoted here.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

wallaced

Postby wallaced » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:04 pm

thanks, everyone! I appreciate yall's responses.

schester

Postby schester » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:11 pm

In my MLS (USA) we clearly have a budget option when receiving a donation. I have used this method before for fixing an over-reimbursed amount.

drepouille

Postby drepouille » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:59 pm

So I bought a webcam to broadcast Sacrament Meeting using G Suite, and sent my receipt to the bishopric, asking them to reimburse me. They did it twice. So I wrote a check for the amount of the over-payment, and we did a special deposit. In MLS, I selected the Budget - Administration category.

In LCRF, the Donation Detail clearly shows Budget Administration. However, when I generated a YTD Donor Statement of Contributions for myself, the amount is shown under Other Categories. I suppose that is OK, since most "Other" donations are not tax-deductible.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Local Unit Finance”