Magazine subscriptions

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
JRobertson12

Magazine subscriptions

Post by JRobertson12 »

I heard there was an announcement about recent converts receiving free magazine subscriptions.

Does that come out of the ward budget? What is the process for ordering / reimbursing those? (I'm a new clerk)
davesudweeks

Re: Magazine subscriptions

Post by davesudweeks »

I'm no longer the clerk, but if I recall correctly, the subscription was to be paid from the budget (at least the first year, anyway). I believe you should be able to order online and have it direct-billed to the ward budget, just like other orders through the online store. You will see an IROP (Internal Record of Purchase) for the subscription that you can code to a budget line as the bishop directs.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Yes, I just signed into the Online Store, ordered a gift subscription for a recent convert, and billed it to our ward budget.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
typhon

Post by typhon »

when i sign in to the online store, the only option i am given is "ship to me". where do i find this link that you speak of?

thanks!
typhon

Post by typhon »

FireShot Capture 129 - Liahona 1 Year Subscription - United States Store_ - store.churchofjesuschrist.org.jpg
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The On-line Store website has been, and is still being, worked on to update and improve it. I ran into the same situation as typhon so I called support for the On-line Store. Clerks and bishopric members can still make a 1-year subscription for recent converts. It requires following a not so intuitive process to complete an order, have it shipped to the new member, and have the subscription billed to the unit account. The steps I describe below will get the order to the new member and billed to the unit account today. What it will be tomorrow and until the website is further developed is uncertain. As with all Church website development the timeline for completing the changes is unknown.

These are the steps to complete a 1-year subscription order for a new member:
1. Go to the On-line Store. (I use the LCR menu to start the process. LCR > Applications > Purchase Materials)
2. Select Magazines > Subscriptions
3. Select the desired magazine. (I selected Liahona)
4. Select a language and click the 'Ship to Me' button. (rather counter-intuitive). If you got to this point without signing in you will see the 'Sign in to Ship to Me' button - click it. If the web page renders again with the 'Ship to Me' button displayed - click it.
5. In the pop-up click the 'View cart and checkout' button.
6. Make sure you only see the one item, for me this was a Liahona 1 Year Subscription (in the selected language).
7. Click the Checkout button.
8. Click the greyed-out 'Select Subscription' drop-down list box and select 'New Subscription' (the only option).
9. Fill in the name and address information for the new member in the text boxes.
10. Click the Continue button and fill in the contact information (I used mine since I am making the order).
11. Click the Continue button and complete the payment information (check the box for terms and conditions and the unit name for the payment type)
12. Click the 'Place Order' button.

I had to try several times to complete an order. I suspect development of the site was causing issues that resulted in errors and page display problems.

The process will improve and the steps to complete a subscription order will change. I have been assured by the person I talked to at the Global Services Department (GSD) support line for the distribution center that the steps I described above are only temporary and the process will be easier and more intuitive when the site development is completed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sbradshaw wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:38 pm The process for magazine subscriptions is changing:
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/church-begins-offering-its-magazines-at-no-cost
There is more detailed information at Church Magazines at No-Cost FAQ
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
llowder

Post by llowder »

The process has been updated.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

The process has been updated. Log in to LCR. Go to Reports. Click on Magazine Subscriptions.
Which process are you referring to? When I go to LCR=>Reports, I do not see anything for magazine subscriptions. Perhaps this is something calling dependent?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”