Backdating a Check to 2020

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jarcher

Backdating a Check to 2020

Postby jarcher » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:44 pm

Hello Everyone,

My Bishop gave me a check last night that he forgot to give me from a Donation that was given to him between Christmas and New Years of 2020.

The member needs to be able to claim it for 2020 taxes so any advice how I would account for it in 2020 in LCRF or MLS while going now to deposit it in the bank?

As always, your help is very much appreciated =)

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Backdating a Check to 2020

Postby russellhltn » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:51 pm

You can also run into this situation if a member mailed a check and it was postmarked 2020, but arrived in 2021.

I believe you can create a batch date of Dec 31, 2020. (Even if you already have a batch with that date.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

jarcher

Postby jarcher » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:31 pm

I just found out that this is correct. Then I was told to call HQ after send/receive was successful so that the reconciliation team can adjust the batch successfully.

Thanks for you help and I hope what I found out helps as well =)

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:58 pm

You can have multiple batches with the same date. If mail is delayed it can sometimes go on for 2 or 3 weeks. The thing I used to always harp on with the bishopric is the critical piece was the date the member handed it to them or the date it was postmarked. Regardless of the date on the check or donation slip, a 2020 donation would have to be either handed to a member of the bishopric in 2020 or postmarked in 2020. Otherwise, it would be a 2021 donation. If a member asks, this is tax law and the church abides by tax law.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”