How to record 2 donations in the same envelop in the new online donation entry system

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dallas.smith

How to record 2 donations in the same envelop in the new online donation entry system

Postby dallas.smith » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:27 pm

We were using the new online donation entry system and had an envelope that had 2 donation slips and some cash for both slips. We were not sure where to click to enter the second donors name and donation. Clicking on Add Donor seemed to not let us pick members of our ward but only enter new donors not in the system. We have done this in the desktop MLS system so hope that this functionality is also available in the new online version as well.
Any help is appreciated.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to record 2 donations in the same envelop in the new online donation entry system

Postby russellhltn » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:29 pm

Unless something has changed since I was a clerk, I think the intent is to track by donation slip, not the envelope. I'd just treat it as two separate envelopes.

Where it might get fun is trying to divide the cash between the two slips.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

davesudweeks

Re: How to record 2 donations in the same envelop in the new online donation entry system

Postby davesudweeks » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:13 am

russellhltn wrote:Unless something has changed since I was a clerk, I think the intent is to track by donation slip, not the envelope. I'd just treat it as two separate envelopes.

Where it might get fun is trying to divide the cash between the two slips.

It was that way when I was a clerk up until a couple of years ago. The important thing is for the total amount to add up. So, for example, if 1 slip was for $7.00 and the other slip was for $3.00 and there was a $10 dollar bill with the two slips, I wouldn't worry about it - just enter each one individually as if they were each in their own envelope with their own cash. The bank won't care.

Biggles

Postby Biggles » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:23 am

I'm guessing that there is a trial going on to enter Donations online, rather than using MLS (Not to be confused with the Online Donations system) for Donations handed to a Bishopric member. Have I got this right?

eblood66

Postby eblood66 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 am

It looks like our stake is not on the beta test this time so I don't have access yet. But I would assume there is some way to do it. I've had cases before where I have two slips with two different donors with only one check. In that case you can't enter two separate entries. In MLS there is a 'New Slip' button to add an additional donor with their own donation amounts while still having a single entry for the checks and cash. If you can't find any way at all then I'd send feedback. It does need to be supported and it shouldn't be that hard to find.

eblood66

Postby eblood66 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:43 am

Biggles wrote:I'm guessing that there is a trial going on to enter Donations online, rather than using MLS (Not to be confused with the Online Donations system) for Donations handed to a Bishopric member. Have I got this right?

Based on the documentation in the help center, yes: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... g=eng#read

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:10 am

eblood66 wrote:I've had cases before where I have two slips with two different donors with only one check.

This would complicate matters. The OP stated they had 2 slips and cash for 2 slips which is what drove my recommendation. It is easy to divide it out if there is only cash and the amounts all add up correctly.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:46 am

davesudweeks wrote:The OP stated they had 2 slips and cash for 2 slips which is what drove my recommendation. It is easy to divide it out if there is only cash and the amounts all add up correctly.

Unless it tracks bills and coin separately. You could have two separate donations for $2.50, but only a single $5 bill in the envelope.

You can make the overall total add up, but not the induvial bill and coin amounts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:54 am

russellhltn wrote:
davesudweeks wrote:The OP stated they had 2 slips and cash for 2 slips which is what drove my recommendation. It is easy to divide it out if there is only cash and the amounts all add up correctly.

Unless it tracks bills and coin separately. You could have two separate donations for $2.50, but only a single $5 bill in the envelope.

You can make the overall total add up, but not the induvial bill and coin amounts.

That is correct for MLS - it tracks currency and coin separately - I don't have visibility of the LCR process to see that, but suspect it would be similar. In situations where we could not resolve the donation, we would seal it in another envelope and give it to the bishop to return to the member to fix (with an explanation).

eblood66

Postby eblood66 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:15 am

davesudweeks wrote: In situations where we could not resolve the donation, we would seal it in another envelope and give it to the bishop to return to the member to fix (with an explanation).

If the situation here is something LCR doesn't support currently, then the solution for the time being is probably to just do it in MLS which definitely does support it (that might mean creating another batch on the same day). But hopefully LCR does or will support it.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”