How to void a check

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
hsutherland2

How to void a check

Post by hsutherland2 »

I was reimbursed for a purchase I made at Deseret Book 5 months ago. Because Deseret book debited the wards account I did not need to be reimbursed. I requested that the ward clerk find out a way to void the check rather than create an accounting mess by depositing it. They have just informed me that if the check is not cashed the funds will go to the state (not stake). How do I get a check voided that was issued erroneously? (And yes, I am going over the clerks heads because I don’t think anyone has asked)
Thanks
davesudweeks

Re: How to void a check

Post by davesudweeks »

The clerk can void the check. You should return it un-cashed check and inform the clerk that if he doesn't know how to void it he should ask the stake clerk to show him. Unit clerk training is the stake clerk's responsibility.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

But you and the clerk need to do it quickly. After 180 days then the check will become escheated and will go to the state and can't be voided. But the clerk can void it before that point.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

eblood66 wrote:But you and the clerk need to do it quickly. After 180 days then the check will become escheated and will go to the state and can't be voided. But the clerk can void it before that point.
That is correct. Once escheated, the clerk will need to contact headquarters to resolve it. The last time I did that a few years ago (before LCR even), I sent a finance message via MLS and they replied with the process I needed to follow to help the member to get their reimbursement.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”