Misprinted check

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
funaddict-p40

Misprinted check

Post by funaddict-p40 »

I had a cleared check show up on the May CUFS that wasn't on the MLS reconciliation screen. Then, looking back at the April Reconciliation report, I noticed that that particular check was noted as a "misprinted check". It was a F.O. category check , so it hasn't shown up as an unreconciled difference. I couldn't find anyplace to change it's "misprinted check" designation, nor do I know how it got that designation in the first place. I guess it's possible that I hit the wrong response button when it asked me if the check had printed correctly, originally.
So far I have just ignored it, since there was no place to check it off during reconciliation and it hasn't seemed to affect my reconciliation. Is there something I need to do?

Thanks,
Alan Afualo
jeffadams

Misprinted Check - Reconciliation Report

Post by jeffadams »

funaddict wrote:I had a cleared check show up on the May CUFS that wasn't on the MLS reconciliation screen. Then, looking back at the April Reconciliation report, I noticed that that particular check was noted as a "misprinted check". It was a F.O. category check , so it hasn't shown up as an unreconciled difference. I couldn't find anyplace to change it's "misprinted check" designation, nor do I know how it got that designation in the first place. I guess it's possible that I hit the wrong response button when it asked me if the check had printed correctly, originally.
So far I have just ignored it, since there was no place to check it off during reconciliation and it hasn't seemed to affect my reconciliation. Is there something I need to do?

Thanks,
Alan Afualo

I have found this same error on my September reconciliation report. It tells me that a ck is misprinted (it shows this right above where the Bishop and Clerk sign). I checked in MLS, on the reconiciliation, on the source documents and I can't see that there is a problem with this check. Does anyone know what this means?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jpa wrote:I have found this same error on my September reconciliation report. It tells me that a ck is misprinted (it shows this right above where the Bishop and Clerk sign). I checked in MLS, on the reconiciliation, on the source documents and I can't see that there is a problem with this check. Does anyone know what this means?
All it means is that when you (or whoever printed the check) were prompted "Did the check print correctly", you answered "no". Generally this is because the check stock was not loaded, or didn't feed into the printer properly. At that point you would have been given an opportunity to print the check again. Assuming the check stock was still usable, you would have simply printed the check and there is no real problem.

The notation is placed on the reconciliation report just in case there is some problem with the check that an auditor would need to follow up on. It's unlikely, but it is possible this could be a source of fraud, so a note is kept just in case. If the check did print correctly, there's nothing to worry about.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:"Did the check print correctly", you answered "yes".
Hmmm, something doesn't look right with that. Should it have been a "no" or is the question phrased differently?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Hmmm, something doesn't look right with that. Should it have been a "no" or is the question phrased differently?
It should have been a "no" -- I must have had a temporary brain cramp. Thanks for pointing it out (I've fixed the original).

Return to “Local Unit Finance”