Other Member Financed Activities - Online Payment

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
noah940

Other Member Financed Activities - Online Payment

Post by noah940 »

A friend of mine in another state informed me that they were able to pay for their YW Camp using the online donation slip. They were told to just place it in any category and then add a note indicating where it should be moved to.

I'm not sure how you go about ensuring that the note is brought to the clerks attention, but it appears that the donor statements can, in fact, be adjusted online to pick up the Other Member Financed Activities list from the ward.*

Is this a valid way to go about collecting these donations online for those who prefer to do everything electronically? Is anyone else doing this (or something like it)?

-----------------------------------
*P.S. They really should add tooltips or something to the drop-down selections in the "Other" box when adjusting donations. The other member financed name categories are too long to read and you end up having to add almost all of them in order to find the one you are looking for.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Other Member Financed Activities - Online Payment

Post by scgallafent »

It sounds like some enterprising clerk has found a way to abuse the functionality that allows a clerk to correct a donation slip. This kind of creativity creates new work for developers.

I personally wouldn't do it.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

scgallafent wrote:It sounds like some enterprising clerk
Or perhaps an enterprising YW leader... When I was clerk, I was constantly doing damage control when organization leaders would make stuff up on how these kinds of payments could work when advising the members. I usually did not find out until members started following incorrect directions from the organizations. I cannot count how many times I had to tell members, "no, the annual fundraiser activity is not tax deductible even though you were told by (the organization) president that it would be."
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I've been tempted to tell a couple members to do this in the past when they had forgotten to bring their camp check for 4 weeks in a row :). But as scgallafent said, this definitely feels like an abuse to get around a policy decision and I never felt good about it. So I usually just ended up texting them shortly before church to remind them.
noah940

Post by noah940 »

scgallafent wrote:It sounds like some enterprising clerk has found a way to abuse the functionality that allows a clerk to correct a donation slip. This kind of creativity creates new work for developers.

I personally wouldn't do it.
Is it an abuse of intended functionality? Or is it a workaround for a yet-to-be implemented feature?

I would think that eventually it would be possible to submit payments into these other categories electronically (e.g., Girls Camp, High Adventure, Christmas Aid, etc.).

That's certainly what many in our ward would prefer to do.

Just wanted to get an idea if this was something other wards / stakes were doing already.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

noah940 wrote:Is it an abuse of intended functionality? Or is it a workaround for a yet-to-be implemented feature?
scgallafent is a church developer. That doesn't mean he knows everything that might be planned but he probably has better information than most of us.

The FAQ for donations says:
No, contributions made for fundraising activities are not considered donations but are considered a payment for goods or services and cannot be completed online. They are similar to paying for the cost of craft projects that are part of a Relief Society activity. They must be done through your local ward or branch.
I'm not sure exactly why the distinction between donations and payments is important but the statement makes it sound like this is a policy or legal issue rather than something this just hasn't been a high enough priority to do yet.

In any case, to me the statement says that these payments should not be made though the online system at least at this time.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

eblood66 wrote:
noah940 wrote:Is it an abuse of intended functionality? Or is it a workaround for a yet-to-be implemented feature?
scgallafent is a church developer. That doesn't mean he knows everything that might be planned but he probably has better information than most of us.
In this case, it does mean that he knows one of the developers who works on this team and has talked to him in the past couple of days.

The decision to not allow members to contribute to AMFA ("other") categories was a business decision. Until there is a change in that business decision, this is NOT a "yet-to-be-implemented feature."

Strictly speaking, submitting a tithing or fast offering donation and then having the clerk modify the donation is an abuse of intended functionality. The dev and business teams for this application are aware that units are using the functionality in the way it has been described. If they decide to change the system to not allow that, there isn't going to be much sympathy if a unit complains that it is now "broken."
nitzmahone

Post by nitzmahone »

If you need another reason not to do it: IIUC all the stock "Other" categories available on the online donation form are pretty regularly swept into the church coffers- seems like a good way to lose your payment.

I also really wish there was a supported way to do this. Since it's somewhat unclear as to how much supporting documentation is required for audit purposes, we'll often just fill out a donation slip for each payment and file it just as we would for tithing, just to be safe. At first blush, it seems like overkill, but in the absence of other guidance or process, I'd rather err on the side of caution...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You bring up a good point about audit. Where's the paper trail that shows the donation was supposed to be reclassified? Perhaps printing out an email that shows the request to change it? I'm not sure as using the paper slip to change an on-line donation will cut it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nitzmahone

Post by nitzmahone »

Oh, I wasn't even talking about the reclassification hack- I just meant that we fill out a donation slip even for all-paper "Other: Authorized Member-Financed Activities" donations (eg, Girls Camp payments)- basically anytime we get a check from someone.

There's a "Notes" field in the online donation form that might be usable for audit-trail purposes for folks that do the "Other" reclassification, but I don't know if/where that shows up in LCR. I'll have to add a note on my next tithing payment and see if I can find it on the backend...

Much as I'd love to ditch the paper for ward Other donations (I'm sure 90%+ of our youth's parents would pay online if given the choice), I'm definitely not going to encourage anyone to do the online Other donation hack without an official OK from at least my stake auditor and preferably from Salt Lake. I don't want to get a nastygram from anyone about it. :D

Return to “Local Unit Finance”