Percentage Guidelines for CUBS

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
daveywest

Percentage Guidelines for CUBS

Post by daveywest »

Have guidelines been released for the percentage of budget allocation that should be retained by the Stake in the various categories?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Bro_West wrote:Have guidelines been released for the percentage of budget allocation that should be retained by the Stake in the various categories?
This is simply a new way to do what stakes have always done.

The stakes get all of the allocation and they hand it out to the individual wards while keeping enough for the stake's needs.

I'd simply take what the stake is doing now and work back from a dollar amount to a percentage.

Much of it will depend on the local situation. For example, some stakes may have all the YSA activities at the stake level while others may have some at the ward level. So how they'd split that one could well be different for different stakes.

If you're in need of guidelines, I'd check the Church Handbook of Instructions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Bro_West wrote:Have guidelines been released for the percentage of budget allocation that should be retained by the Stake in the various categories?
It is up to the stake to determine how it will distribute the budget. If you don't have a good idea yet, once you get the Q4 disbursement report, look at it along with the previous 3, add up the total disbursement for each unit, and divide them by the corresponding amount allocated by the stake to each unit for their 2010 budget. It is likely the percent will be different for each unit.

Keep in mind the new system does not accommodate giving a ward more than 100%. To do this, you would have to cut a check from the stake to the ward for the difference.
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Up until about 4 weeks ago, I was a ward finance clerk for the past 3 years. We had few issues under my watch, so no good deed goes unpunished: I was called and set apart as stake finance clerk this last Sunday.

At 8 p.m. Sunday night, I found out the stake accounts hadn't been reconciled in three months, the files are in disarray, and there are several other outstanding issues. Let's just call that a nightmare scenario with CUBS going online this week.

Hopefully, we'll have few problems in our stake, but I certainlly want to be able to answer any of my ward clerk's questions.
Bro. West
Assistant Stake Clerk - Finance (2 years)
Former Assistant Ward Clerk - Finance (3 years)
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

All reasons why I see the church making this transition. The new system will likely eliminate some of the more common ways finances get messed up.

There have been some lengthy discussions leading up to this transition. They may also shed some light on this. It looks like you've found them, but for others, here are some links:

New look of CUFS
Donor statements
Donor record
Budget
NSF Checks
Finance questions
Some concerns
NEW LOCAL UNIT FINANCIAL PROCESSES UPDATE.pdf
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

Bro_West wrote:
At 8 p.m. Sunday night, I found out the stake accounts hadn't been reconciled in three months, the files are in disarray, and there are several other outstanding issues. Let's just call that a nightmare scenario with CUBS going online this week.

In the nine page message the MLS Support folks sent out last week they stated in capital letters "RESOLVE AS MANY OUTSTANDING RECONCILIATION ITEMS AS POSSIBLE". Unfortunately finding all the issues at 8 p.m. certainly is going to make for an intersting situation. Hopefully the MLS support folks will be of some help if it comes to that.

You certainly have my sympathy. Prior to being called as the stake clerk I was a ward clerk in two different wards. When our city was split from two wards to three wards my family was transferred to another ward where I was immediately called as the ward clerk. I found the finances in total disarray. Errors in reconciliations had been carried for over 18 months and I spent the better part of two weeks (and I'm retired) trying to figure out what all happened and making corrections. It can be done but it is certainly time consuming. Hope it all works out for you. And as Crislapi stated - this probably one of the reasons we are going to the CUBS system.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”