Ward budget allotment not received from stake

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
deokusa

Ward budget allotment not received from stake

Post by deokusa »

Budget allotments have been received by other wards in our stake but our ward still has not received it. We think it may have to do with the fact that our system date was advanced 1 month in December and when MLS asked us to close out 2010 we did. SLC then sent a transmission that reset our MLS to the correct date. It was during this time that the ward allocation should have been received.

We are not sure what to do at this point. Can anyone help?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Most everyone here, including myself, is just other clerks with no power to modify the system.

What I'd suggest is to check with the stake to verify that they did have a percentage entered for your ward. (If they had a zero, you won't be getting anything.)

If that checks out, it's time to call Local Unit Support
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

dnaelliott wrote:Budget allotments have been received by other wards in our stake but our ward still has not received it.
One other thing that can make an allotment zero can be caused by not submitting quarterly reports in a timely manner.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

dnaelliott wrote:Budget allotments have been received by other wards in our stake but our ward still has not received it.
One other thing that can make an allotment zero can be caused by not submitting quarterly reports in a timely manner.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Not a single ward in my stake has received their allotment yet either, and I was there last night. It wasn't scheduled to come until the 6th anyway, so I'd just be patient.
sportstats

Post by sportstats »

When we recieve the alotment, how is the easiest way to transfer that money into each sub catergory we have? Everyone keeps talking about percentages, but I do not see where to put those in. All I have is the yearly budget that the ward council set up. I am new to this so I am just wondering how this works.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

sportstats wrote:When we recieve the alotment, how is the easiest way to transfer that money into each sub catergory we have? Everyone keeps talking about percentages, but I do not see where to put those in. All I have is the yearly budget that the ward council set up. I am new to this so I am just wondering how this works.
The percentages are how the stake decides how much your allocation you will receive. As a ward, there is no automated way to transfer money around. It will automatically show up in your Budget:Budget Allocations subcategory. If you chose to them transfer it to your other categories, then you must use the view/enter transfers screen in the finance section to do so.

However, because you will receive allotments quarterly, I think the easiest option is to leave all the allocations in Budget Allocations and instead use the view/edit budget screen to enter your yearly budget. Then at the end of the year, make a single transfer from Budget Allocations to each sub-category equal to the total yearly expenses. Transfers can be back-dated, so you could even wait to the start of the next year to do this.

Throughout the year, monitor the status of the budget using the Budget Report.

This approach works best if all your committees start each year fresh, meaning at the end of the year all leftover funds are reabsorbed by the ward. If you allow your subcategories to keep the balance you probably don't want to use this approach.

PS - was in the stake center again tonight and neither the UFS nor the disbursements have been made yet. I'm not worried - it's year end and there is a lot of other things that must be done. It'll come when it does, and we'll survive just fine until it does.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sportstats wrote:When we recieve the alotment, how is the easiest way to transfer that money into each sub catergory we have? Everyone keeps talking about percentages, but I do not see where to put those in. All I have is the yearly budget that the ward council set up. I am new to this so I am just wondering how this works.

If I were you, I'd hold off on doing any transfers at all. Some significant changes are in the works as to how budget allocations are accounted for, and I think you would regret doing transfers to individual subcategories.

Entering annual budgets in the View/Edit Budget screen as crislapi just described will be much more compatible with the new system.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

aebrown wrote:If I were you, I'd hold off on doing any transfers at all. Some significant changes are in the works as to how budget allocations are accounted for, and I think you would regret doing transfers to individual subcategories.

Entering annual budgets in the View/Edit Budget screen as crislapi just described will be much more compatible with the new system.

Just what changes are in the works? Anticipating our allocation within a few days, I have set up the budgets for our stake using the I/E method with transfers(we had left over stake funds so I allocated them via transfers into appropriate subcategories such as Combined Youth Events, Youth Conference, etc that are not on the allotted categories set up with CUBs). Are you saying this is going to cause problems when MLS 3.3 comes out? If so, why hasn't something been said earlier. If you have "insider information" it would be nice if you shared!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

FFRsqpilot wrote:Just what changes are in the works? Anticipating our allocation within a few days, I have set up the budgets for our stake using the I/E method with transfers(we had left over stake funds so I allocated them via transfers into appropriate subcategories such as Combined Youth Events, Youth Conference, etc that are not on the allotted categories set up with CUBs). Are you saying this is going to cause problems when MLS 3.3 comes out? If so, why hasn't something been said earlier. If you have "insider information" it would be nice if you shared!
I'm not sure how much I should be sharing, but I thought I would just put out a caution that it might be wise to wait before making transfers. But if you have made transfers, I don't think it will cause any particular problems; it's just that you might very well wish that you had gone with the View/Edit Budget route. Transfers can be undone, in any case, so you certainly haven't done any irreparable harm.

I'll see if I can get permission to give a more complete answer.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”