aebrown wrote:...I see no reason to draw any conclusions from the limited training failing to mention an option.
crislapi wrote:If you are not comfortable doing it, that's one thing, but don't rule it out just because it's not mentioned in outdated documentation.
Yes the training is out of date, pre-CUBS and only addresses limited procedures. However, it is my understanding that even in the old system, the software would allow
you to change the category of an expense (i.e.- Budget:YM to Budget:YW) and that you could even change it from a budget to other category.
Slide 32 of the Other Category training addresses "transferring funds when expenses were paid from the WRONG category" and it says, "Sometimes an activity is mistakenly paid for using budget funds even though funds were collected and designated for the activity in the other category"
If CHQ wanted us to simply change the subcategory, why wouldn't the training have said to edit the expense and change the category. Because I agree that would be a lot easier than writing a check. Instead it goes into detail on the process of writing a check. That leads me to believe that CHQ has a reason for us NOT to just change the category. I am presuming it has to do with the Budget vs Other funds (as was mentioned in earlier responses). Afterall, if I mistakenly selected Budget:YM instead of Budget:YW, I would not have to write a check to correct that mistake.
Here is my logic as to why I feel like my situation is addressed by this slide.
1. The expense should have been paid for entirely out of the Other:AMFA:YW Camp subcategory
2. Had the check been expensed ENTIRELY out of the Budget:YW subcategory, there would be no question as to what to do as slide 32 addresses that situation specifically.
3. Yes I have 2 categories on the expense, but I contest that the portion of the check that came from the Budget:YW subcategory was "mistakenly paid using budget funds" just as slide 32 describes.
4. The amount that was mistakenly charged to the budget needs to be corrected.
5. The only documented method to correct this is to write a check as described on slide 32.
Again, I am grateful for you input and I know what I am going to do to correct our mess.
Both of you and many others, have been immensely helpful to me since I have started in this calling about a year ago. But, I am still not sold on simply adjusting the amounts in the subcategories since one is Budget and one is Other. Perhaps something has changed on the accounting side of things that would make adjusting budget/other categories okay in CUBS where it was not okay with the old software.
If they ever start putting together new training, I would love to be a part of it.